Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

winterhawk outfitters

Old 06-26-2007, 10:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: winterhawk outfitters

I hunted with Winterhawk last Sept. the last wk of archery. It was my first ever Colorado Elk hunt. I did a full guided archery hunt. Winterhawk came highly recommended by people I know with New York Bowhunters. I also met their head guide Russ in Syracuse, NY 2 yrs ago, and the guy was super nice. Plus with so many outdoor hunting shows doing hunts there, I figured Winterhawk had to be decent. Jay Gregory, Babe Winkleman, Trophy Outfitter's, Lee Lakowski.I have them all on tape. Plus I spoke to Larry several times on the phone. Well I tell ya it was everything he said it would be plus. I had just a outstanding time with them. I wasn't successful, but I did have a real nice 5x6 within 40yds, but just couldn't get a clear bow shot. I'd def. had Elk if had a muzzleloader in my hand. The weather wasn't the best for last yrs. bow season, hunting wasn't what it should've been. It went from unnormal hot tempts to snow awk. later. It shut the Elk down. But I saw plenty, and most the bulls were real nice ones. We did hunt a few outter areas in drop camp setups, and did run into a few cow rifle hunters, but nothing major. I saw maybe 3 hunters in that 1 section, and that was it. My guide worked real well for me, Jason. I even sent him a christmas package. I've alreadly booked a 2nd hunt with them for the fall of 08'. I'd go back there in a heart beat. I had a fabulous time I really did. I think about it all the time, and wish I was going back this fall. I'm also on their reference list now. Its of no benefit to me, they just asked me if I would be for them being from NY. I said sure. Feel free to e-mail me personally with any further questions.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also wanted to add, there was several hunters in camp that had hunted with Winterhawk in the past. I also spoke to some of the drop camp hunters. 1 group was being packed out early becasue one guy was having health problems, they'd hunted there several yrs. Another day after a morning hunt, we went to a drop camp that was occupied by some their hunters. They were well known by my guide. They enjoyed having us stop by, and this was their 3rd yr of drop camp hunting with Winterhawk. They said they come back every 2yrs, and just love it there.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:21 AM

Can't speak to the WH accommodations or drop camps, as I've never hunted with them, but... I was in their neighborhood during 2nd combined rifle last Oct.

First day hunting I hoof it way back, day started off cold, but by 1 pm. it's getting warm and I'm sweating like a pig humping it up a horse trail. One of WH ranglers (guy looked like he belonged in a Marlboro commercial) was leading 2 mules loaded with firewood down the trail. He was super nice, asked if I was lost or needed any help. I'm sure he thought I was an ignorant flatlander stumbling around the mountians (which I pretty much was; hey it was my first elk hunt, everybody has to start somewhere). He gave me directions, a shortcut back to the FS road. There was a guy with him, younger feller, didn't say anything, he wasn't near as good at hiding his disgust as the first guy was. I wasn't lost and I didn't need any help, but the short-cut was nice.

Anyway, my lone encounter with a WH employee was positive. I might see 'em again this year as I'm probably headed back that direction this fall.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

My guess is that was Bob Shellum, he does look like a Malboro man. Super nice guy. When I was there for 8 days he was nothing but all smiles, and always found the time to stop, and chat if you had any questions. Very helpful employee of WinterHawk. He's one their head guys. It was a privilege to have met him.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mom

i am not sure if this is the comentyou are wanting,but i think people should knowhow they treat the youngmen that they bring 100s of miles away from home to work for them.they dont tell them nothing!they throw them in aand if you mess up life gets real hard for them.my son is 19,never been away from home.some people say he is a man now so he should figure it out.well i am sorry,just because he is 19 dont make him a man.but at any rate he was there for 19days and for whatever reason he did not work out.so one man took him to the bus station with out a dine to his name and put him out!that boy was scared,no money no food,water and stuck with no way home.how can these people be so uncareing about a boy that worked for them almost a month.and just throw him out like a dog on the street! hhe is a person and agood person he has a great heart.he went for the job and the experince.and to be honest i would want them teaching my child how to catch a fish not to mentionan elk!so dig deep befor you send your child.

I think this is a troll.