Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

what to wear?

Old 09-18-2004, 07:58 PM

Default what to wear?

hello all...im heading out to colorado next year for my first elk hunt...really looking forward to it..but i need help with my clothing...any suggestions from undies to outerwear would be appreciated....thanx for any help
Old 09-18-2004, 10:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: what to wear?

Backcountry1.
I hunt in the NE corner of the San Juan Mtns in SW CO.
Some considerations.
1. What season will you be hunting? Granted weather can change dramatically at higher altitudes, but the later you hunt the cooler it will most likely be.
2. Will you be doing a lot of walking, primarily on horse, or a combo?
3. Will you be in a camp with tents or roughing it?

I have hunted both the first and second rifle seasons and experienced temperatures between below zero and 60 plus degress above zero in our area. We camp above 10,000 feet.

I pack expecting to experience the temperature range noted above. I have a couple pair of Military BDU pants, and also a pair of wool trousers. Same with tops, BDU and Wool Shirts.

If you will be doing a lot of walking consider undergarments with good wicking ability, polypro or some of the newer fabics, Thermax, Underarmor, etc.

Pack clothing that will allow you to dress in layers. If I am going to start out walking, I dress light accepting a bit of discomfort early until my body heat offsets the "snivel." When I get to the spot I'm going to sit, if that's the plan, I pull out a down set of underwear tops and a down orange vest. When I'm moving I wear a mesh vest over wickable fabric. I normally walk with lightweight gloves then switch to a pair of glomets once in position. I have a dickie that is great to keep your neck area warm while moving. I sweat easily and so when I move, I REALLY dress light. I push up my sleeves; expose my ears, etc. to allow heat to escape. Once I get to a sitting location the reverse is true.

I take two pair of boots into camp allowing one pair to dry out on alternate days. This has been beneficial when we've encountered snow. I also have a set of gaiters to wear if the snow is six inches or more.

I have an orange watch cap and also an orange ball cap. The bill on the ball cap comes in real handy on bright sunny days, especially if there is snow on the ground. On that regard take along some sun block.

Depending on how mature your camp area is will dictate other clothing considerations.

I'm bringing a newbie into camp this year. I put together an extensive packing list with notes. Rather than go on here, I'll attempt to send you that as an attachment.
Regards and good luck.