Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Knives

Old 09-15-2004, 12:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Knives

I know this has been around before but having just read an article on knives I would like to hear opinions on your favorite brand and type of knife for all around big game hunting. Maybe two if you use a different blade for skinning. I think my Cold Steel Pro Hunter is my all around favorite. It does a pretty good job for most things. My dad started out after the war as a butcher and I have a few of his skinning knives yet. I like the Edge Maker knife sharpeners for keeping a razor edge on my blades. If they get to bad on me I resort to the Lansky. I never could get a good edge with a stone. Just never got the hang of it. Good Hunting.
Old 09-15-2004, 02:52 PM

Default RE: Knives

I've been using a Buck Pro-Line the last few years. I like it best for several reasons. The blade is shorter, but much wider than my previous Buck, making field dressing an animal easier (to me at least). I love the gut hook on top, and would not get another knife without one now. The serrated edge by the handle is also handy at certain times. I also use a Lansky to sharpen the edge periodically. It makes sharpening virtually full-proof!
Old 09-15-2004, 03:30 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-15-2004, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a couple of knives that I use. I have a 3" Schrade folding knife that gets used for gutting the animal, a Wyoming knife that is used for starting the skinning and loosening flesh in the tougher spots, and then a Cutco serated edge knife that is used for going through the brisket on deer. It has a 6" blade and is very stout. I also have a couple of saws, a Gerber with changable wood/bone blade which I use for cutting the pelvis and the lower legs off. I also have a Wyoming saw, with a wood and metal blade, which is used mainly for camp chores. I keep them all in my day pack, as I walk several miles, and don't know that I may have to hang a deer in a tree, or stay the night where I am, so I make sure I can take care of the animal (or myself) no matter where I am.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:07 PM

i use custom knives by landrun in tyler,texas.he makes is blades out of old sawmill blades.the handles are made out of antlers.they also come with a leather sheath.they are less than $100. i like bucks but they just do not hold an edge and it takes a arm and a leg to get them sharpened.i started carrying multiple knives for just this reason
Old 09-15-2004, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I carry about 4 knives in the bush with me as well as a foldup saw. Things happen to knives here when field dressing game in the winter, ever loose a knife in the snow when field dressing a critter? That why I carry a back up(s).
I carry two sharades with Stainless Steel blades and two high carbon steel knives and one that I made from a railroad spike that I forged over coals. I also carry a whyoming skinning knife in my back pack.
Depending on how dull my knife may be I usually dress it up on a carborandom stone and then use ceramic crock sticks for a razor edge that'll shave the hairs on your arm. When I am makeing a knife I'll use the belt sander on it to obtain the right angle but making sure that the blade stays cool. No one knife does all the task you need, so be prepared and bring the right tool. Bobby
Old 09-15-2004, 11:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a Ruana, Buck 110 folding hunter & Browning Kodiak FDT. I usually only carry two knives. I also always carry a Gerber multi-tool.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just purchased a A.G. Russell Handmade Drop Point Hunter from www.agrussell.com that I have to break in. I also like knives from www.cutco-online.com (1-800-633-8323); I have the Cutco's original Hunting Knife, Drop Point Hunting Knife, Fisherman's Solution, and a Kitchen Knife set. Good luck.
Old 09-16-2004, 01:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for the reply's. I also carry a Swiss army knife and the original Leatherman tool at all times. I collect knives and have for years. I have most of the Buck knives and most of the Cold Steel knives. I have quite a few Ontario Knife Company Knives. I also have several custom made knives that were made by local knife makers and a lot of Green River knives. I got into the Muzzle loading and knife throwing quite a few years back and went on some awsome rendevous. I think I have most of the Victorinox swiss army knives. I have collected about 200 knives all together. I sure could not get by without that Edge Maker sharpener. I also carry at least three knives whenever I am out and about.
Old 09-16-2004, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a case folding knife for deer and a fixed blade for Elk and skinning .

Quick Reply: Knives

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.