Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

need help on Elk hunting in MT-district 700--fort peck-cmr

Old 09-12-2004, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default need help on Elk hunting in MT-district 700--fort peck-cmr

I was rewarded with a rifle permit for bull elk in region 700,701,703. I am a whitetail/ turkey hunter from WV who moved to MT (helena) last year. never been elk hunting before but am going to give it my best. I have lots of time this fall and want to try it without an outfitter. Does anybody have any info about elk hunting this region (other than contacting the fwp). I am thinking of boating and camping on the south side of ft peck lake for a week or longer. Like I said, I am new around here and dont know many other elk hunters. Also, I would rather share my camp with someone, so if anyone else would want to go hunting there for elk or deer (general tag area)--I have got all the gear, and a boat and will buy all the food--Thank You
Old 09-13-2004, 05:20 PM

Default RE: need help on Elk hunting in MT-district 700--fort peck-cmr

hillbilly - I'd REALLY suggest that you get a guide, that general area is where Chuck adams just killed the new Pope&Young world record elk!! Even if you have to put it on a credit card, this could be your shot at a TRUE trophy elk. Also w/ a guide you will learn alot if you listen and treat him w/ respect. This is an opportunity you may NEVER get again, think twice about going it alone especially since you've never hunted elk before. On a normal hunt I'd all for trying it alone, but this isn't just a general hunt.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:31 AM
Typical Buck

Yes, HillBillyHunter, I'd take Nvmike's advice as they only allow 125 people in that zone for elk rifle from what I was reading and there are some big elk there. I hunted muleys there last fall and both my brother and I encountered two very large bulls...but no bull tag!! Talked with some locals that have been putting in for years without drawing so take advantage of it. Be careful boating on Ft Peck as that lake can get nasty as we found out last year. Maybe try the fish & game dept and talk to someone who works in that area. Also, any sporting good stores as you never know who you'll meet who might have info on that area. Good luck...
Old 09-14-2004, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hillbillie, I got drawn for the archery hunt in unit 410 which is beside 700. I'm going to be on the west side of the mussleshell and along the missouri river. I'll be leaving next week as it is almost a days drive for me. I have topos and BLM access thoughout the 410 area. I've got 3 antelope tags and an antlerless deer tag as well as my big game tags. I'll spend my first night in Lewistown and from then on I'll be roughing it, living like a pack rat in the back of my truck as I'll be hunting it solo. Its going to be quite an adventure as I am really looking forward to slinging some arrows. Good Luck, Bobby
Old 09-14-2004, 01:32 PM
Typical Buck

Good luck Bobby,

That sounds like a great trip. We'll be waiting for pictures...
Old 09-14-2004, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I talked to a taxidermist in Jordan,MT and he said there gettin some good elk along the musselshell. Which antelope tag do you have --900?--I saw a LOT of antelope between lewistown and Winnett when I drove up there last weekend--You're probably goin thru Great Falls, but I live in Helena and if your comin back this way and need a place to crash for the night let me know--I'll send you my phone number. let me know how it was. good luck
Old 09-14-2004, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Iron,
I talked with a guy last night who might act as an unofficial "guide" for me He seems like he knows his stuff and was actually recommended by an outfitter in that area, I hope it works out. also, he said he hadn't shot at a mule deer in 10 years but took a 29 incher (actually on the north side of the lake) last year. how did you guys make out with the deer and do you plan to go back? Did you do it yourself or use an outfitter?--I would like to use one but am limited on funds. I'm thinkin of puttin a collection jar in the local convenience stores (ha ha)
Old 09-15-2004, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ironranger

Good luck Bobby,

That sounds like a great trip. We'll be waiting for pictures...
Great Ironranger, just go ahead and put more pressure on me. Thanks

Hillibillie, thanks for the invite. You got mail and yes I do have one 900 tag and two more that if I don't get one with a bow then I'm heading back for the gun season. I am getting pumped up for this and all systems are GO!!! Bobby
Old 09-15-2004, 03:35 PM
Typical Buck

Bobby, it's just that I have faith in your abilities is all!! ) Have fun out there.

HB, good to hear you are on the right track and good luck on your hunt. I drew a tag this fall again for mulies and was invited to hunt with a two different forum members from MT but I was waiting to hear from another guy from Billings that I met last fall out there. He called and wanted me to join him so I had to decline on the other two. Just wanted to say again how nice it was for them to offer. There are some good folks on this forum. Felt bad as I'd like to be able to do both. I can't wait for November as I've got two weeks off...one for MN deer and one for MT deer.
Old 09-15-2004, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok guys--I might have my plans worked out a little better. I found a possible guide to go with but he can not go until later in the season. I however am still going to district 700 to hunt elk/mulies early on and I wondered if there is anyone out there who would like to go with or would let me tag along. I can pull my own weight and am really looking for someone just to share camp with--I have lots of gear, am a decent cook and dont snore

Quick Reply: need help on Elk hunting in MT-district 700--fort peck-cmr

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.