Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Check List

Old 09-22-2004, 12:28 PM

Default RE: Check List

Nothing wrong with carpet on the floor, we use a series of rugs to make things comfy on the feet in our sleeping quarters, BUT.....

Carpet (or rugs) can wick up moisture (especially if the ground is wet/muddy when you arrive). In our sleeping quarters we put down a sheet of 6 mil visquene, then a cheap poly-tarp, then the rugs. I would not put even old carpet directly on the dirt. Also, make sure you protect it from the heat of the wood stove (or cut a hole and let the dirt show underneath the stove).

I must say that I have seen hunters leave the carpet behind because it was too wet, too nasty, and too heavy to take home after the abuse of a hunt --- lowest of the low IMHO.

EKM
Old 09-22-2004, 02:11 PM

Thanks EKM, myself and the guys that I hunt with have too much respect for the land to ever leave anything behind. I'm glad you pointed out the visquene I hadn't thought about that. Any other wisdom you feel like passing on to us rookies please feel free. It is all very much appreciated.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:38 PM

Consider "nailing down" your floor with either landscaping staples or nails, just be careful not to tag your sod cloth with the nail --- out of sight out of mind.

EKM
Old 09-22-2004, 11:34 PM
Fork Horn

Reference the carpet. We have small pieces cut up like throw rugs beside our cots. The idea of using plastic sheeting as a ground cover is still good. A carpet laid directly on the ground will eventually absorb a lot of moisture. Better to lay small carpets down on top of the plastic. Works for us.
Regards.