Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Arizona/USO short list.

Old 08-18-2004, 09:43 AM

Default Arizona/USO short list.

I said it ain't nice to crap in another man's tent. The short list for the next round of meetings is on the AZG&F site.

-Award bonus points for applying five years in a row.
-Award points for volunteer work.
-Charge up front app fees from electronic funds transfer. No credit cards.
-Increase license and tag fees.
-Require all applicants to purchase a hunting license.
-Increase bonus point set aside to 20% with most bonus points getting tags.
-Create a NR set aside with a seperate draw.
-Create commercial and non-commercial tags with 90% available only to residents and 10% available equally to res and NR. OR-eliminate all commercialization of wildlife by law.

Now ain't that a pot of good stuff for Taulman to brag up to all his supporters! No way will this state or any western state allow a greedy oufitter and a liberal court to ruin what we have worked so hard to build and protect. Sad thing is the easiest thing for us is to outlaw commercialization and that would ruin a bunch of good guides in this state. Bottom line is I can't see anything good coming from the USO suit for NR hunters. Just was pokin' the bear until it woke up and ate him.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Arizona/USO short list.

Not sure exactly how the draw system works there in Arizona, but assuming it is somewhat similar to what we have here in Nevada. I don't like the idea too much at all, especially with the possibility of the lawsuit in Nevada now!!! I don't like it when a certain amount of tags get set aside for so many people with bonus points. At least here in Nevada, bonus points work out so no matter what, you only have two points in the draw, whether you have 2 points total (two years) or 10 points (10 years). Either way when you get your draw number and don't draw, you are given that number till you draw. The points add up, but every year you don't draw you are only given the best possible number for the draw, plus what you are given that year. This happens for everyone, not just res or non res. I don't like the idea of Commercial/noncommercial tags either!! More money for the outfitters!!! We have a hunt here in Nevada for mule deer that is a special draw for nonresidents that allows people to apply for a special guided hunt for deer with an outfitter they plan on using. These are not landowner or guarenteed tags, but they do keep cash flow in the hunting community without going overboard IMO. I also don't like the idea of volunteers getting bonus points!!! Volunteering should be something that a hunter does because he/she knows it will better the sport of hunting for the future and there should be no reward other than to know that one helped out!!! Heck, I should have a bighorn sheep tag now for the hours I have put in here in Nevada, lol. Well, doesn't look good. I sure hope everything turns out ok, and hope he can't get a good hold here in Nevada, we should know in a few months what the future may look like. Later
Old 08-18-2004, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

gleninAZ & all other Arizona residents,
The good people of Montana are watching & praying you get this settled quick. I still love the idea one arizona hunter had. Ban all felons in every way shape & form of Outfitting, Guideing or Booking any & all hunts in the state of Arizona.

Good luck & keep us posted,

WK
Old 08-18-2004, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

"Ban all felons in every way shape & form of Outfitting, Guideing or Booking any & all hunts in the state of Arizona."

That does nothing to Taulman. He was aquitted. (i.e. He is not a felon).
Old 08-18-2004, 12:53 PM

Tex-where did you hear that he was acquitted? I just read that he was still working on a plea bargain. If you have a link please give it to me so I can make sure my facts are correct.

Thanks.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Actually, the charges were thrown out by a judge. I understand that Taulman is considering a lawsuit against AZ for selective proscution.

The only link I could find was a USO link, but I think it is accurate: http://www.huntuso.com/newsletter/screamer_1003.html

I have read about this from several sources, just can't find the others.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:48 PM

I know that AZ had indicted him with cause but this basically says he wiggled out based on a position that the state filing was after his tag lawsuit. He is still an outfitter who used airplanes within the limit of the hunts. Guy sure seems like he depends a lot on lawyers to wiggle out of situations he puts himself in. I remember the AZ Republic article stated that G&F infiltrated his operation using an officer and they had him dead to rights on the charges. He uses the discrimination tactic more than Al Sharpton.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:34 PM

As to the felon approach to limit George's activities, I don't think we're talking necessarily about past Arizona improprieties. I have nothing to substantiate this myself, but there had been something in the wind concerning his possibly plea bargaining somewhere in the U.S.