Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

USO Letter to Their Non-Resident clients

Old 08-19-2004, 04:34 PM

Default RE: USO Letter to Their Non-Resident clients

Thighrack
You say $2,500 is not alot of money??? GET REAL!!!

I hunt a couple of 90,000 and 100,000 acres ranches and I pay nothing!!! And any one else who ask can hunt for the same price, NOTHING

Paying $2500 to hunt deer is why hunting is a rich mans sport.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:44 PM

Wyote:

Most of the ranches in that area do not manage wildlife, they simply allow guys to walk around on there land and dont care what they shoot or how they hunt as long as they respect the land. These places might not care, but they probably dont realize that wildlife is a renewable resource.
But when you look at the overall picture, $2,500 for a 100,000 acre ranch isint sh*t.

You say $2,500 is not alot of money??? GET REAL!!!
I am "real", $2,500 for hunting access is not much money unless the area is small.

Paying $2500 to hunt deer is why hunting is a rich mans sport.
Hunting is not a rich mans sport, if it was then there would be alot less hunters out there. I dont see the big deal with paying $2,500 for a deer hunt, when most states charge 1/3 of that just for elk tags etc.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:59 PM

Barnes bullets just announce that they are dropping USO sponsorship and they disagree with Taulman's lawsuit! Looks like he is going down hard on his big fantasy of using lawyers to screw the west.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:08 PM
PLB

TXhighrack,

Have you ever been outside of Texas????

Holly hell, if I paid $2,500 for a white tail tag, my wife would skin me alive. I will spend approximately $60 total to hunt deer this year. Outside of TX, $2,500 is a lot of money to hunt deer.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:19 PM

TXhighrack,

Have you ever been outside of Texas????
Yes actually I have. But I'm not talking about a tag costing $2,500 I'm talking about a landowner making money off of his land from hunting, and I'm saying that $2,500 is not alot of money. $2,500 would be alot if it was just for a tag.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:12 AM
PLB

I hunt public land so the extra cash is a non issue for me. I will add that my wife's uncle charged guys $2500 a piece to hunt deer AND elk on his 3000 acre ranch in western colorado. He would only allow up to 8 hunters per year.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lets be sure we are comparing apples to apples. Of course these are my opinions, but I think people are not understanding what is being said. As TX says in his last post, he is talking a charge for hunting the land, not the tag price. However, we started this thing talking about elk tag prices going to $2500, which is not out of the relm of possibility, so I am not sure how this got twisted into comparing it to a tresspass fee.

$2500 is a lot of money for 1 (one) person to hunt 1 (one) deer anywhere, although for a trophy deer hunt that is probably the starting point. Too rich for my blood.

$2500 to hunt 5000 acres split between 5 hunters is not a lot of money ($500 each). I think this is one of the scenerios that TX may be describing.

In Texas, a normal hunting "lease" is for the entire season which runs from the first Sat in November until the first Sat. in January (2 months) plus the entire month of October is bow season and you can take up to 4 deer, 2 turkeys, and sometimes more game (pigs, etc.). The "average" hunting lease for the WHOLE SEASON typically runs $750 to $1250 per person. Not cheap, but worth it to a lot of average guys for the length of time they get to hunt and the amout of game they get to take.

When a nonresident goes elk hunting, he/she rarely hunts for more than 7-10 days, usually shorter. In my book, an elk TAG that costs $2500 is a LOT of money and would severely thin the ranks of nonresident hunters, which would be an extremely bad thing.

I am pretty sure that in Texas at least, if you take someone hunting on your property and they have an accident that is somehow the landowner's fault, the landowner is liable even if he didn't charge them anything.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:46 PM

Now THIS is hilarious!!!. Guys, can you say coup? Use ol georgie boys list above to contact his sponsors, which he was SO KIND to supply us w/ and e-mail our protests useing the list HE provided us w/.