Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

USO Letter to Their Non-Resident clients

Old 08-17-2004, 06:28 PM

Default RE: USO Letter to Their Non-Resident clients

I see that Jim Shockey is supporting USO.
Maybe he needs some email to set him straight!

http://www.jimshockey.com/news/news.asp?ID=878
Old 08-18-2004, 01:39 PM
Fork Horn

This is definitely NOT Pearl Harbor, but it is the beginning, of the end for the ordinary guy. These guys (USO and others) will not only buy up all the licenses, but they will start leasing land at exorbitant prices that will simply end it for the little guy.

I am more anti government regulation than most, but we need some new regs here.

Lets see:
[ul][*] Limit draw tags to individuals, no corporations.[*] Limit draw tags to only so many per household/family. This has been done for years with coupons.[*] Limit draw tags so that you can’t apply for xx years if you do get one. That would bite into repeaters, and give newbie’s a chance.[*] Charge a fee that is a percentage of line ### on the federal income tax return. Then the poor folks (like me) can afford this too. Make the tag non transferable so it can’t be sold.[*] In some states, if you(the land owner) lease your land and collect more that $2500 total for the year off the leases, then you become liable for the safety of the hunters. In that way, it helps hold the lease down, under $2500, so the little guy still has a chance.[*] Institute a progressive outfitter tax. The more guides or people you guide the hire the tax rate. Just have to make sure all the loopholes were closed. Tax 'em to death. The government is doing it to the rest of us.[/ul]Just my thoughts
Old 08-18-2004, 04:41 PM

I just got off the phone with Jim Schockey from BC. Never met the guy but I will tell ya he is on top of his game. He wasn't even aware that Taulman's name was mentioned in his article. He was responding to an e-mail I fired off to him. I won't define his position but as an AZ hunter I did not feel he was involved with the USO thing at all. If nothing else I respect him for having the sense and nuts to call right away to clear things up. I will save my anger for George and the boys and I appreciate Jim spending the time to talk.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:50 PM
PLB

Here is a copy of an email I just received from Crooked Horn:

To Whom It May Concern:

It has taken some time to evaluate all the information coming to us regarding the court ruling in Arizona. We have heard the concerns of residents and non-residents alike and

we do appreciate your input. Our customers’ concerns are critical to our business and we do take this situation very seriously.

Crooked Horn Outfitters has advertised its products on United States Outfitters "Real Hunting Adventures" and we have used USO’s services, as well. We have the utmost respect for the knowledgeable, professional individuals we have had the privilege to work with.

We have received numerous e-mails and phone calls letting us know that we have been included in something we had no intention in being a part of. Crooked Horn Outfitters has been falsely labeled as a supporter of this lawsuit. We are not a party to this or any other lawsuit between USO, the State of Arizona or any other state.

Crooked Horn Outfitters has recently withdrawn our sponsorship with United States Outfitters. We support all of our nations’ foundations and fellow hunters who work so hard to preserve our hunting privileges for future generations.

It looks like Crooked Horn has now withdrawn their support of USO also. Keep up the good work guys.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:53 PM

Crooked Horn rocks....great bino system and evidently great people as well
Old 08-18-2004, 08:39 PM

I got an email from Primos as well stating the same thing: they're withdrawing their sponsorship from USO as well!
Old 08-18-2004, 09:22 PM

Hey --- waving the white flag here, guys! No intent was implied to belittle the Dec. 7 event, or those who died on that horrific day in 1941! As an Arizona native, I've been aware of the sinking of the Arizona since my elementary school days. Add to that, my now 83-year-old dad was a VERY young B-17 pilot during WWII; I have the greatest respect for those who've defended America and the world against aggression!

My use of the event in my original post was to lend emphasis to the magnitude of what George Taulman and USO has wrought on our hunting tradition ACROSS America, in a way I thought might grab everyone's attention. Do I really equate the two incidents? Of course not --- that WOULD be stupid! I was using some literary license. That said, I hope we can focus on the major issue at hand ...

Lv2hnt
Old 08-18-2004, 11:23 PM

bnhcomputing:

I agree with some of your post, but not these two points:

Charge a fee that is a percentage of line ### on the federal income tax return. Then the poor folks (like me) can afford this too.

First of, I dont like giving out personal information to just anybody, especially to some state employee who is just going to use my personal information to discrimanate againt me just because I've got a good job. I think if Az. passed a law like this they would only be asking for another lawsuit. The price of nonresident tags should be the same for every nonresident. Dont penalize somebody just because there doing good in life.

In some states, if you(the land owner) lease your land and collect more that $2500 total for the year off the leases, then you become liable for the safety of the hunters. In that way, it helps hold the lease down, under $2500, so the little guy still has a chance.
I actually found this to be some what of a shock, to me it is kinda like the "no hunting on Sunday law", it makes no sense. Getting $2,500 a year from your land for hunting rights (unless its a small tract) is actually not alot of money. Honestly I make more then 4 X that just on opening weekend of dove season each year. Holding a landowner responsible for accidents that happen on his land, just because he charges more then $2,500 per year for hunting access is totally stupid. If I was a landowner in one of those states, I would close my gates to everybody except for my family and close friends.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:25 AM

Guys,
I just sent out a round of e-mails yesterday and got the same reply back from Crooked Horn Outfitters. I am from Louisiana, have never hunted in the state of Arizona, but I honestly believe that you guys out there must definitely be doing something right by the way you manage your elk herds. The case should have been left up to you to handle your tags the way that you want. Good luck to you with figuring a way around the ruling.
Old 08-19-2004, 03:56 PM

I was just looking over Mr Taulman's website and came up with another sponser that I have not seen mentioned before, OUTDOOR EDGE.

Their email address is: [email protected]

Quick Reply: USO Letter to Their Non-Resident clients

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.