Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

I Drew An Elk Permit!!!

Old 08-14-2004, 08:15 AM

Default I Drew An Elk Permit!!!

I can't believe it! I guess I'd like suggestions on filling it. I would also like to find a recommended guide. Anyone with info please let me know. Email would be best ([email protected]), thanks.
Old 08-14-2004, 02:40 PM

Default RE: I Drew An Elk Permit!!!

Where at? That would help alot!
Old 08-14-2004, 08:18 PM

As mentioned before, what state, what area? Also.....

What season?
Rifle? Archery? Muzzleloader?
Other hunting experience?

Might help a wee bit.

EKM
Old 08-14-2004, 10:09 PM

Rifle.
Michigan.
The DNR hasn't given me the area yet. I will get specifics later according to the letter I recieved.
Mainly hunt upland game, but hunt deer also.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:08 PM

(0) First, it is a given that you can hit what you aim at with what you choose to shoot [sight in and marksmanship competence].
-----------------------------

(1) Scout the area a lot until you own it.

(2) Learn to navigate to wherever you need to go in the dark. Elk often are like vampires, they dislike daylight and are most active at night. Dawn and dusk are very opportune times. Don't let yourself be found "out just walking around" anytime and not especially at either dawn or dusk.

(3) For a first timer (and for many old timers including myself), my belief is.... "Put a wandering hunter in the woods along with a wandering elk and most of the time the elk will figure out where the hunter is before the hunter figures out where the elk is. The counterbalance is that if the elk are scarce or the cover super heavy, then you may have little choice. Thus strategy is critical (get onsight help).

(4) Use 'nuff gun.

(5) Use quality bullets that are "heavy for caliber" (partitions minimum IMHO).

(6) Aim your shot for most lethal area with the highest probablity of success (notice I wasn't so presumptuous as to say "place" your shot). [Be prepared that the elk will NOT give you that "whitetail broadside pose."]

(7) Even if it looks like a miss, follow it up and look for sign of a hit --- elk can seemingly "ignore" a good hit and take off without demonstrating a flinch or a limp (unlike deer). This requires you to really pay close attention (at a time you will likely be very excited) as to where the elk was standing (down to the foot) so you can go look for blood, hair, bone, non-registering tracks, etc. that indicate a hit and the need for a subsequent tracking job.

All standard advice (on my part) for anyone and anywhere....
================

In your case....
Michigan, I assume there aren't many around that have done it there --- that makes them special. On the other hand, I assume not many tags are given out --- that makes you special. I'm betting there are people who will help/guide/participate in your hunt, just to live the hunt vicariously through you in the pursuit of your elk.

This sounds like a rare opportunity hence the trick is to NOT waste your first time out and end up saying, "Boy, I sure learned a lot about elk hunting.... too bad I didn't get one! Try dept of wildlife, NRA instructors, shooting range, anywhere where you "connect up" with some support. Bashfulness will not serve you well on this one.

EKM
Old 08-15-2004, 01:14 PM

ELKampMaster ,

Thanks for the reply. I will be using a Remmington pump 30-06, sighted at 100 yards. Is this an effective approach?

I have boxes of Remmington - Springfield 150 grain Core Lock Soft Point bullets and was planning on using these for the hunt. Is the sufficient?

Your are correct, it's very rare to draw a elk permit in MI. Once drawn, I am excluded for life, which is why I must make this count.
Old 08-15-2004, 04:08 PM

I will be using a Remmington pump 30-06, sighted at 100 yards
not sure of your terrain yet, but my elk hunting rifle is sighted in at 200 yards. Being the differences of terrain I would go with 150 not 100. A 30-06 should be fine also those bullets should work well. Try to find a guide to help you if possible. This is a once in a lifetime hunt, literally, make it wonderful.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:13 PM

30-06 okay,

100 yard sight in, if that is what is appropriate to your sight distance/opportunity distance where you will be hunting and it is what you are used to.... okay,

IMHO, 150 grain Cor-Lokt's are a "deer round" for a 30-06, I'd recommend 180 grain Partitions (or better) for your 30-06, Elk are very durable when compared to deer, so I recommend you feed them stronger medicine --- recheck your sight in. (This very point has been hashed several times over the last two years and the premium bullet advocates always have a dominant ratio of responses, but there is always someone....) Search it for yourself.

Good Luck,

EKM
Old 08-16-2004, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Elkkamp on this. If I was in your situation I would opt for at least a 165 grain, but my first choice would be a 180 grain bullet. Bullets are cheap on a hunt of a lifetime such as this. I would use the 180 grain nosler partition, trophy bonded bearclaw, winchester failsafe or other premium bullet. I have used the nosler partition with great results, but have heard the others do well too. Not only is the 150 a little light in my opinion, but the regular core lokts are not heavy duty enough if you need to penetrate some big bones, which can always happen. I think the new Remington ULTRA core lokts might be ok, but the regular core lokts I only feel comfortable using on deer sized game.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:35 PM

I have decided to use the nosler partition, 180 or 200 grain. I think it's available in a Winchester and Federal. Is this correct? I'm hoping Cabelas in Dundee has them in stock.

Quick Reply: I Drew An Elk Permit!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.