Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

I Drew An Elk Permit!!!

Old 08-16-2004, 07:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I Drew An Elk Permit!!!

Congrat's on drawing your Elk tag ,and good luck to you on your hunt .

Hunt safely

nubo
Old 08-16-2004, 07:50 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: I Drew An Elk Permit!!!

Conglads on drawing the tag.

My advice is---SCOUT. Learn the area, find the elk before the season starts. Find out what the bulls are like. If you know there are several BIG bulls around----it will be a little easier to pass on a small 5x5.
Hunt for the elk before the season starts. Finding the elk is the HARD part-----after you find them-----Be there at 1st light on the season opener.

30/06 is plenty of gun. I've used it for over 20 years here in Colorado. As far as bullets--------We'll beat this poor dead pony, black & blue again. I use 180 grain bullets-----I think 150's are to light( I use them on antelope) I've taken elk with both Rem & Win factory rounds. Never had a problem, I shoot just behind the shoulder. I've used both round nose & PSP---180 grain. I've tested the Win fail-safe's but I never could get them to group of of my gun. TBBC---I have no 1st hand knowledge. The Nosler partitions are the "standard" by which are others are measured-----it's been around for a long time. I've tried a box of the Federal Premium 180 grain------they are accurate out of my gun. FYI---I'm thinking of using the other 1/2 box of "partitions" this season then go back to "Hornady's spire point".

With all that said--------Your plain jane "Core-lokt", "Power-Point" or Hornady's "interlock" will work just fine. But if you feel more confident with a "premium" bullet I would go with the Federal's premium factory load of 180 grain Nolser Partition. I would stay away from the "High Energy" loads.

Good luck & besure to post a photo of the "big ole bull"