Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

LIONS

Old 08-25-2004, 10:46 PM
Spike

Default RE: LIONS

any hoo i am going to try my best to bag a cougar this year and i will let you guys know how i did and what works and what didnt work for me. you never know i might start a new method effectively hunting lions. I will try all the ideas out that you guys gave me and see if any work for me. how do you use a calve elk call. i will probably try wounded rabbit calls also. thanks guys
Old 08-25-2004, 11:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Any time that I brought a cougar in with an elk call, I was calling like a calf in distress, lots of higher pitched calls with a sense of urgency. Make yourself sound like a calf by itself that may be wounded or desperate and searching for company. Two years in a row I brought in 2 cats and 2 bears. One cat I missed. One bear I could not get a shot. The other two made real nice rugs. The cougar that I did kill was 15 ft away when I killed it, that one was only 7.5 feet but big enough to catch my attention at that close of a range. So be ready because they will come in quiet. The area that I hunt has a high concentration of both animals. Last year I had a large cat follow me when I had a pack full of meat, When I went for a second pack, there were tracks right in mine from the first trip. I don't carry a side arm and hunt primarily with a bow. What a rush when all that seperates you from the cat is some air and a broadhead. Good luck!!!!
Old 08-26-2004, 11:37 PM

The cats might be smelling them sardines that you have been munching on and that you have been packing in your fanny pack!!!
Old 08-30-2004, 01:27 PM

I dont think youll walk a cat down, but if you want to try, go for it. if you have a dog, any dog, bring it. If you do happen to cut a track almost any dog will go after it. one of the best lion hunters in this area uses 4-5 border collies and only one red bone hound. The hound leads the way until the scent gets hot, they those collies take over and run the cat up a tree. You can turn your dog on him and get enough preasure on the cat to tree him, otherwiseI think he'll outrun you.I think calling will produce results, but be ready for some frustration, it may take awhile to call one in.