Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

LIONS

Old 08-16-2004, 10:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: LIONS

That is funny. I have to question your skill level in not only hunting cats but survival in the Rockies. So your going to go chasing a cat with snow shows and tree it? I want to see that. That cat will play with you all day and I really don't think you will pose enough threat to tree a cat but rather chase it off, also make sure your stalking cat tracks and not wolves. There is no more danger in hunting cats than hunting elk,deer, or bear when in cat country, your biggest threat is elements and terrain but your ideal is not impossible but suggest possibly an ambush approach. Go for it, Bobby
Old 08-19-2004, 01:57 PM
Spike

Well guys as you all know there are no wolves in colorado and bears hibernate between the months of Nov. 15 - March 31. I dont think there are to many baby elk calves running around in the winter either. Another thing i have never used dogs before but i have seen 5 mountain lions in the wild when I was not even looking for them. I seen two lion kittens run across the road on lookout mountain, one adult lion in eldorado canyon state park when walking my dog, and on two seperate times seen adult lions on the back side of gross reservoir when i was hiking to the inlet to fish. I will be hunting in eldorado canyon and at gross reservoir since they are less than 1/2 away from one another. All I was asking for was a little advise, not for some people to knocking me around and discrediting me. I am a native to colorado and have been hunting in this state since I was nine years old. Also i am easily in better shape than 95% of the people on this board, so suggesting i cant survice in the mountains and all im going to get is sore feet is igorant. im not trying to pick a fight or be defensive but a few of these last post were not helpful but rather unhelpful, for lack of a better word. This is the best plan i could think of for hunting lions without dogs and if anyone has a better idea then by all means i would appreciate thier input. It is not my skill level, knowledge of the mountains, or my ability that in incompetent; its my knowledge, or lack there of, of mountain lions and hunting them without dogs. Thanks for the useful input

I disagree that if 12553, one is actively trying to be within the close vicinity on a lion or if one wounds a lion then there would be a extremely larger possiblity of danger than if the same person was hunting deer or elk, or even being in mountain lion habitat.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

krueger, thanks for letting me know that you didn't appreciate the advice on using elk calls for cats. I have also called in bears on the late archery hunt in december . I HAVE harvested cats and bears fair chase and know it can be done in the methods in which I gave you. Go ahead and do it your way and good luck to you. You were looking for advice and you got some from me. I did not discedit your abilities therefore you should not discredit mine. Elk under one year are calves. I am aware of the fact that there are no 'baby 'calves running around at this time. However if one has much understanding of the elk language, they would know that juvenile elk make different calls than older ones. If you can imitate this ,then you can and will call cats in. Cat season starts in early fall here in Idaho. So depending on when you want to hunt ,cat hunting, younger elk, and bear non- hibernation can all be found in one area at one time. Get an early storm roll through and you could be in the snow before you know it, giving you great opportunities. I have ran them with dogs also and know what kind of a chase they can give. Good luck and go get em.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Kruger, hold on there, no need to get your feathers ruffled as you informed us this is your first year and you asked us if there were any errors in your plan. Just because you get some feedback that you may disagree with , No need to get thinned skinned, you will need an extra coat of it if you put your plan in effect.
I don't agree with you on elk hunting is safer than cat hunting, this is why I had to question your skill level.
When elk hunting I am not thinking of a cat, even though I know the're around , so I may be at a disadvantage due to my consentration being focused on elk.When I go slipping in bowhunting at daybreak and I am calling elk with a seris of calls it is not uncommon to encounter a cat/signs or other predators that may be stalking the herd or a bear coming to the calf call which may seem like a distress call, not to mention having to go back in to the bush and pick up game you couldn't bring back, sometimes you never know what will be waiting.
Also cell phones are great when reception is available but in most of the areas I hunt the're useless, but I still carry it along with a 357 and enough provisions to spend a night or two if conditions get tough.
I am not no stranger to snow shoeing, do my share of it every year, but its kinda hard to tree a cat when snow shoeing, I just don't see that being realistic but I admire your determination.
Year before last winter I had some cow bones that I was going to cut up for the dogs outside the kabin next door and we had a lion make several trips right up to the kabin and ripp them off, you could see the tracks of it going back and forth in the snow, kinda ballsey but an ambush is possible if you can pattern it.
I wouldn't take anything on this board personal and I'd get over it, Good Luck, Bobby
Old 08-20-2004, 02:37 PM
Spike

Sorry bout that guys i am not trying to be an ahole or anything, i probaly try that elk call idea. i do appreciate all the input though.
ill let you guy know what works for me and what doesnt, the snow shoeing idea was just that, an idea. Thanks
Old 08-20-2004, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

You bet krueger, I have got to admit, you seem like a real go getter. Give those cats hell.
Old 08-21-2004, 11:17 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-22-2004, 06:05 PM
Spike

thats paul
you seem to be one the few that think this method might work. now i will have more confidences to track a lion for longer amounts of time.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:53 PM
Typical Buck

I totally agree with Elkcrazy on this one. I've always thought that would be the way to hunt up a cougar without dogs. Get on a fresh track, and set up elk cowcalling ambushes every half mile or so. If you get no response push on along the cougar's tracks another half mile and try again. Once the tracks show the cat is running from you, you'd probably better find another cougar to play with. Some year I'm going to try this, but I keep letting the tag deadline slip by me.
Old 08-24-2004, 06:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

I naver hunted the critters but have seen several while glassing for other game. One as close as 100 yards. We could have tracked him in the snow if we had been hunting them. I think it can be done without dogs if you have the time to spend.

Quick Reply: LIONS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.