Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Finding hunting partners

Old 08-11-2004, 08:57 PM

Default RE: Finding hunting partners

Dirt2, you relate the classic scenario....

Say you'll pick him up at 5 AM, which means you'll leave his house at 6:30 AM, then go to a cafe while shooting light dawns, finally jump into the truck and head into the hills about 8 AM.
I never had the problem you describe with any of my partners back when we used to hunt the local patch, but I heard plenty of grief from those who did have similar experiences!

This is one reason of why I tend to differentiate between hunts where the hunters "sleep in their own bed and then get up and pursue their game in the local patch" versus hunters that pursue their game in an "away from home/remote hunt." Overall, a whole different ball game generally involving a whole different level of play, IMHO.

Now drop ole sleepy head into a remote camp (if you can ever get him out of the county)....

"Pick him up...."
"His house...."
"Cafe...."
"Jump into the truck...."

Ah, no.... if he won't get up and get ready on time, just leave him in camp and let's go get some game....

EKM
Old 08-15-2004, 10:05 AM

I was stunned by reading this thread, as most of the complaints dovetailed my own. Since 1976, I have worked on finding a partner/partners with whom to enjoy big game hunting. I have gone with a couple different parties and we all got along fine, but these were never folk who were ready to go again next year. Here are some reasons why it is difficult to get an annual big game hunt together:
(1) They do not have the money.
(2) They have the money, but cannot get off work.
(3) The wife gets sick, just prior to leaving for the hunt!
(4) They had the money but had some other family emergency which took precedent over hunting.
I am going back to the ranch where I killed a bull in 2002, armed also with a mule deer license. The place is on the western slope of the Rockies. The cabin is at 8400ft and I ride a horse up to around 10,000ft to hunt the parks. I stayed out there one week in July and saw three nice bulls in velvet, black bear, coyote and a couple nice muley bucks.
The entire package, with cabin and horses is very reasonable for four hunters. If anyone would like to talk about an elk/mule deer hunt for 2005, let me know.
I am now 62. Been a lifelong deer hunter, here in Md. Just started western hunts in 1990. Bred and hunted Pointers from Australia to Mexico to Canada. Like varmint shooting and go to the range on a weekly basis to keep tuned up. Hold a dealers FFL and trade in firearms, along with my clock shop. Like self guided hunts, as described above, but no more tenting for me. Want a hot shower at the end of the day, and a real bed. Now shooting a 7mmWSM Winchester Ultimate Shadow, mounted with Burris 3-9x40 Signature scope on Leupold mounts and rings. No longer use alcohol or tobacco, but not opposed to those products in the cabin after the hunt. I do my own cooking in the cabin, as it takes too long to get down off the mountain to eat out.
Old 08-15-2004, 01:31 PM

Delete
Old 08-15-2004, 04:51 PM
Typical Buck

I dont have that problem .I have a great partner child hood school mate dont even have to ask the only thing I have to tell him is where and when.

The first time out elk hunting went with 8 people nobody got an elk but we seen and heard elk not enough for my friends but not me and my hunting budy we were hooked took us 3 more trips to get one and had killed or had the chance to kill every since

But now the other freinds see us bringing home the meat and want to go back out after we did the leg work for a point to where the elk are hunting trip .[:@]
Old 08-15-2004, 06:51 PM

I don't know about you all but my one and only hunting partner is my dad till he get to down to hunt then we will have to see who if anyone( I doudt it) can take his place.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:18 PM
Typical Buck

Alsatian,

As the others have said, finding a good hunting partner is hard to to. I have been lucky in that area, I've been blessed with several good hunting/camping and fishing buddies over the years.

Something I've been thinking about asking for on this board in the future, if everything goes well, and I may be laughed off this board, is. I'm thinking about asking some of these folks that elk hunt and camp while doing it, if they would let me tag along on their camp/hunt. I would pay my part for groceries, etc. and would be glad to cook for them. I just don't know anything about elk hunting or camping in the mountains. Don't get me wrong, I own a truck load or two of camping gear for here in Ga. I would be willing to not even bring a gun if they would let me tag along, if I wouldn't be in their way, just to learn.

Right now I can't do this, but maybe next year or the next. The only other way I know is to load up what I have and go west prior to hunting season and see what I need for a hunting trip, which I'm sure wouldn't equip me for the could weather of hunting seasons, but at least I'd have some idea of what the mountains are like.

This also is the only way I know to meet and get someone to trust me enough to invite me back to maybe hunt with them. Will just have to wait a while to ask.

Good luck.

dog1