Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Tent care question?

Old 08-01-2004, 07:01 PM
Typical Buck

Default Tent care question?

Hey all you guys that pack in I have a canvas wall tent what are the do's dont's ? What is the best way and place to store it ? How often and what kind of water proofer to use.

Also its 2years old kinda of getting dirty what to do to keep it clean and the best way to clean?

Thanks.
Old 08-01-2004, 07:41 PM

Default RE: Tent care question?

I have a 25 year old canvas tent (Army CP tent) that I use for only elk hunting. About a month before I depart for CO, I take it out, set it up, and go inside when the sun is shining its' brightest. Look at the ceiling, sides, all parts of the interior of the tent for any incoming light. Then go outside and put some Goop (get it at wally world) or silicone over every hole, regardless of the size. Let the goop dry, then spray some form of waterproof stuff on the entire tent. You can get a few cans at wally world. Leave the tent up for a day or so, take it down and put it back in the larga plastic tub (with lid). Go hunting. When you return (like the next day), set the tent up again. Take a broom and brush off the entire tent. Get all mud, etc. off and get it as clean as you can, even hose it off if required. Leave it up as many days as it takes to ensure it is completely dry. Take it down (preferably in the middle of the day when it is the warmest , thus drier) and place back in the plastic tub. Store in a cool, dry location like a temp-maintained storage room. When you open it up the next year, it will look as if you just packed it away. This is my method and I am sure there are many others. Do what you think is best, but never put up a canvas tent when wet. Good hunting!
Old 08-01-2004, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I take mine out of its bag every summer & put it up in the backyard. I apply canvac to the tent & let it dry for two days. Then roll it up & put it away until season starts. I also hang it up after season when I get home & make sure it drys out.
Old 08-01-2004, 10:09 PM

JustHuntItAll,

Yep, there are a few tricks to taking care of them alright, some earned through the school of hard knocks. Since your tent may be special I would recommend contacting the manufacturer for the specific details for caring for your tent. Different tents/fabric types/treatments require different care with different do's and don'ts.

Good luck.

EKM