Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

USO hits Nevada!

Old 07-29-2004, 02:04 PM

Default USO hits Nevada!

Just read that USO is filing a lawsuit in Nevada on the same obscure commerce clause basis as the Arizona suit. Welcome to our world. These guys have a strategy to force all states to give equal preference to outfitters applying for elk and deer tags. This is no joke and it will threaten hunting as we know it. It is hard enough to get a resident tag now and if we don't put these guys down now why would resident hunters want to continue work that improves habitat and pay for 90% of the cost through local tax funds, purchases and our lottery? Bet this has the potential of seriously damaging Game and Fish management.

BOYCOTT USO SPONSORS!!
Old 07-29-2004, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: USO hits Nevada!

Been boycotting them. Hope it does any good. USO is not welcome here and I will fight them the whole way!
Old 07-29-2004, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Is there a way to get a list of all USO sponsors?
Old 07-29-2004, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I knew it was going to happen some day!!![:@][:@][:@] Now this sucks!!!![:@][:@] As it is right now, it can take up to about 3 years just to draw a deer tag for a good area, sometimes longer. Antelope can be more than 5. Bull elk is in the neighborhood of 10 years, (luckily non res can't apply for cow), and you can bet that sheep can take up to 20 years or more to draw!!!! NOW THIS!!![:@][:@] You don't know how PI&&ED I am right now. All this is going to do is prove that USO can win any lawsuit they want, and will cause more problems than there already are. I am not looking forward to this now, good bye hunting in Nevada for me!![:@][:@]
Old 07-29-2004, 05:51 PM

I hope that they rot in their attempt to take over yet another stretch of desert. I will do all I can to stop them so that they never come into Utah. Nevada and Arizona both border us and are quite similiar in many ways.[:@][:@][:@][:@]
Old 07-29-2004, 11:08 PM

Knew it was coming, nevada has big elk, big elk=big money, =USO lawsuit.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:39 PM

bearklr - go to the thread about AZ court ruling is bad, it has several companies listed, but read through becuase many have already dropped sponsorship of USO. Knight muzzle loaders and Barnes bullets are two that have not as of yet. One thing that occured to me, we need to e-mail those who helped us out and thank them for dumping USO.
Old 08-02-2004, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just read this on the Nevada Department of Wildlife Website. I have bolded the important points relating to this issue. So, what do you guys think?

WILDLIFE COMMISSION TO DISCUSS NONRESIDENT TAGS, MULE DEER PLAN

Litigation over nonresident big game tags and development of a statewide mule deer management plan will be discussed by the Nevada Board of Wildlife Commissioners during an Aug. 6-7 meeting at the El Capitan Hotel in Hawthorne.

The two-day meeting kicks off on Friday, Aug. 6, at 9:30 a.m. with election of commission officers. Also on the agenda are a workshop and action on a proposal to allow nonresident hunters to obtain tags to hunt bobcats under the stipulation that they be accompanied by a master guide.

Commissioners will discuss a proposal to change the opening date of this year’s quail season in Clark, Lincoln and portions of Nye counties from the second Saturday in October to the first Saturday. Other agenda items include a request to approve expenditures for upland game bird stamp funds and a proposed change to commission regulations that would allow military personnel to hunt big game in a subsequent year if they are unable to use their tags due to military assignments outside the state.

A report will be given and action will be taken on a state predator management plan, and there will be a report on the Nevada Department of Wildlife’s (NDOW) fiscal year budgets for 2006 and 2007.

Reports will be given on the status of Walker Lake, the elk sub-plans for Lincoln and White Pine counties, the governor’s sage grouse team, the Western Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies and the status of the Lincoln County Conservation, Recreation and Development Act. There will also be a report from NDOW Director, Terry Crawforth.

Saturday’s session begins at 8 a.m. and will include a presentation on a recently completed mule deer bulletin and development of a species policy plan for the state’s mule deer.

Commissioners will hear a report from Nevada’s deputy attorney general about a recent complaint that has been filed that seeks to overturn Commission Policy 20 as discriminatory, thereby eliminating quotas for nonresident big game tags in Nevada. Further, the complaint seeks damages for lost income and business opportunities by the plaintiffs.

The Saturday agenda also includes status reports on antelope, bighorn sheep, elk, mountain goat, upland game, waterfowl and furbearers.