Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Oryx hunting

Old 07-23-2004, 07:05 AM

Default Oryx hunting

What's the best way to hunt oryx? My son drew one of the NM permits on the military base. We recieved a letter from the military base wanting their 100 but we haven't recieved any information such as do's and don't etc. Those who have hunted there before can we get maps from the military? Will they send us information?

thanks in advance.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Oryx hunting

Congrats on the "once in a lifetime tag". I assume you are talking about the "White Sands" oryx! My brother and his wife live in N.M. and have both drawn tags, a couple of years ago. They had to go to a meeting before hunting, where they learned all the do's and don'ts, and went from there. They don't just cut ya lose to go hunt, they have restricted areas that you must stay with-in.
The meat from the oryx is top notch. Hope ya have success, which is about a sure bet!
Old 07-23-2004, 04:14 PM

Yes, I'm talking about the white sands area. I'm a little concerned that it's only a two day hunt. I hear the success rate is pretty good but there's always that chance of bad weather or bad luck. My son (13 yrs)has been looking forward to this ever since moving from Alaska. So I'm hoping things work out for him.

JH
Old 07-23-2004, 05:41 PM
Fork Horn

Hello shot high.

You will have a couple of things that you must do before White Sands will let you hunt.

1st- You must have your hunter safety card. (doesnt really matter what state you are from, as long as you have it).

2nd- You must know your rifle. and qualify with it at 100 yards.

3rd- The only weather you have to worry about is high winds here. The Oryx seem to bed down when the wind get over 40 mph.

4th- Is that if you dont like the weather here just wait about five minutes and it WILL change.

But anyway CONGRATS to your son. What cal. of rifle is he going to use?

I would personally not use anything under a 300 Win. Mag myself.
I have seen a lot of Oryx killed here , and they are not like deer. They have a drop in their chest between their front legs (about the size of a grown mans hand.) That is where their heart is at. If you shoot them high in the shoulder they are hard to put down. I have seen them shot with a 30-06 the guy was useing 180 gr. noslers . Only took him five rounds to kill. The shoulder blades on the animals are like armer plates.

If by chance you dont kill at White Sands. You can allways put in for our hunt on Mc Gregor Range and we will take you out. You see the civil. hunts are in Texas. They are a one time thing too. But everyone that has drawn has killed. We have been doing this hunt now for about 6 or seven years. The only thing it will cost you is a special five day hunting tag at Walmart. I think that it runs about $ 45.00 and your hunters safety card.

Just a thought.
hunter338
Old 07-24-2004, 10:00 AM

Hunter338,

Do you have any more info on the Texas oryx hunt you mention in your post?

Thanks.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:42 AM

Hunter 338

Thanks for the info. My boy will be using a 30-06. He drew out for the small missile range. You made me think of a couple more questions. After everyone qualifies and gets the briefing is everyone turned loose at the same time or are people assigned to different spots? Or is it like the mad dash for land in Oklahoma? <grin>

What is the terrain like on the small missile range? How do we hunt these things, spot and stalk or sit and wait?

The oryx hunting you are talking about is on the Texas side? Are there other animals to hunt on Mc Gregor Range such as Ibex, barbary sheep or ...?

Thanks again.
Old 07-25-2004, 12:05 PM
Fork Horn

I really dont know how White Sands does their hunts. If it is going to be guided or not. Our hunts it is manditory for one of the Range Riders to take you out. We have way too many Impact Areas to just turn you loose to hunt.

These hunts are allmost allways Spot and Stalk. Orxy dont drink like deer do. They can go for days without needing water. They also have no set area that they stay in. So it is hard to figure a routine for these animals.(They seem like a drunk man walking around, they go everywhere and anywhere they please).

You can go through the Texas Game and Fish dep. to find out more about the McGregor hunt.

hunter338
Old 07-28-2004, 08:57 PM
Typical Buck

I hunted the Stallion Range this past January. Besure to send in that $100 fee----I also requested a receipt. There is a list of don'ts included in with your license. The big ones are----insurance & registration for your truck----you need both or you can't get on the base. Also NO cameras or alcoholic beverages-----no exceptions-----if you are caught you'll be ******ed off the base. Also WEAR your orange vest at ALL times. If they see you without it on---it's a fine & ****** off the base. If you are ******ed off---the hunt is over & you will not be allowed back on.

Also, don't pick up anything off the ground. Nothing !!! Remember it's a miltary testing range. You don't know what could be an unexploded ordnance. The road closures are in those areas. Even if you wound an oryx & it goes in one. STOP. Go get a Fish & Game officer. Again don't pick up anything off the ground. I guess several years ago some one did pick up an ordnance & it went off. Killing the young man.

They will let you hunt on foot in the open areas. Also, when you kill an oryx---you can get off road with your pickup & drive as close to the animal as you can get. We drove right up to ours. Just have some one walk in front of the truck picking out the path.

You'll get a map at the predawn hunter orientation. It will show the out of bounds areas & the areas that are open to hunting. Usually the closed roads will have an orange cone on it. Rule of thumb is don't cross anything orange-----flagging or cones. I didn't think they were really marked all that clearly. Usually it was just 1 cone in the middle of the road----seems to me they could have put 5or 6 out----all the way across it. But they only have the day before to get everything out.

After the orientation----it's like the OK land rush. Everyone runs back to their trucks & out on to the roads. We walked----and waited till things got calm & went down the road. There are a lot of oryx. Enjoy the hunt don't get caught up in competition.

Several ways that I hunted were. Find a high spot & glass. Or find which way they like to travel & then pick a spot. I also drove till we saw some & then stalked them. It seemed to me that they like to travel up & down the arroyos. We would drop one man off & the post up at the other end & try to "push " them down the arroyo.

Make sure you practice long shots. Also in the information they sent you was some on shot placement. They have a "racing strip" on the their side. I put my crosshair even on the top of that strip & then right on the leg. It took off the top of the heart. Shot on the leg---not behind like a deer or elk. Your 30/06 will be fine. I would use 180 grain bullets. Also becare when you walk up on the down oryx. They have been known to kill lions with those horns.

On judging them. I thought a rough rule of thumb was a 36" was a good one. I got a monster----39 1/4"-----2nd biggest that hunt. Seemed to me most were right around 36". There were 150 hunters on my hunt. My oryx was the 70th checked out on Saturday (1st day) & I was out at dark----maybe a couple after me. So about 50% kill on the 1st day. 2nd day, I don't know.

My hunt was the last one-----they were a little jumpie----many would run at the site of a truck. That just made it more fun. With your hunt being an early one---I think they won't be as jumpie.

I would take shooting sticks & make sure your son can use them. Not many trees to use as a rest.

Have fun-----it's a great hunt.

Post a photo of the oryx !!

Any other questions---let me know---I'll try to answer them. CB
Old 07-29-2004, 10:16 PM

Colorado Bob

Thanks for the info. Couple of quick questions. Do you know a good taxidermist? How much does it run for a shoulder mount? You say a 36" inch is a good bull. How does 36" look on a bull? When do you take the photo if you can't have a camera on base?

Thanks again.

JH
Old 07-29-2004, 11:41 PM
Typical Buck

You'll see quite a few with broken horns, I passed on all those. They run in small herds, after a couple sitings-----you'll be able to pick out the "good " ones. My bull was with a bachelor group. 2 had broken horns, 1 had NO horns & mine. The one with No horns was Huge in body. Bulls are bigger & the bases of their horns are also bigger. Cows will have horns just as long but they are a thinner. You'll know a good one when you see one.

My shoulder mount ran $700 same as an elk. Not sure what part of the state your in. I'm getting mine done here locally in Durango. If your in Farmington it's no problem. You'll get a lot of mailing from NM taxidermist about a week or two before the hunt. Also at the gate several will be there will displays & samples of their work.

We left our cameras in the motel. Or if your taking an RV--leave it at the camp ground. You can take photos just outside the base & still get the natural settings of the area. If you are driving down the day of the hunt------only thing I suggest is that you run back to town & then buy a 1 time camera at Safeway after you kill.

Take several sharp knives-----their hide is just as tuff as elk hide & can dull a knife quickly. At the Stallion gate they had a hoist you could use to skin the animal. Not sure about the Small Range.

In an earlier post some one said you have to qualify with a rifle. Not true. But be sure to practice----shots are usually long 200+ yards.

The meat is great table fare. IMO maybe a tad better than elk.

You are allow 2 guests & the hunter---in your group. I suggest you have 2 men & your son. They are big animals & lots of help is needed to load the animal. Plus it's a fun hunt-----more friends----more fun.

Quick Reply: Oryx hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.