Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Oryx hunting

Old 07-30-2004, 07:07 AM

Default RE: Oryx hunting

ORIGINAL: shot high

Colorado Bob

Thanks for the info. Couple of quick questions. Do you know a good taxidermist? How much does it run for a shoulder mount? You say a 36" inch is a good bull. How does 36" look on a bull? When do you take the photo if you can't have a camera on base?

Thanks again.

JH
Both the cows and bulls have worns. A cows horns are slimmer and, in many cases, longer than the bull's horns. As far as judging a trophy, if you are looking at a scimitar-horned oryx when it raises its head the tip of its horns should be at about even with its flank.
Old 08-01-2004, 08:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Oryx hunting

shot high.
I would still use something bigger than a 30-06 on this hunt. Like I have said in my earilier post. I have seen tem run for a mile after being hit high in the shoulder with a 375 H & H.

It is a great hunt with a lot of comp. but !!! The thing about these Orxy hunts is ,,,, THEY ARE A OUNCE AND A LIFETIME HUNT.

So on that note I hope you have hunted here in the Desert before. Even with a range finder it is VERY hard to tell what is a trophy and what is not.
They all look good on the wall, and the meat is awsome. (Yes even better than Elk.)
I use a guy here by the name of Garcia. Prob. one of the Best Taxidermist in the country as far as mounting Oryx. The thing with him is that it will take at least six mounths and $750 , But well worth it. He takes a lot of PRIDE in his mounts and he is no stranger to the Oryx.

The kill zone on these Oryx is at that black stripe. Like I have said before their heart is at the bottom of that black stripe that runs between their knees on their chest.

If you do use a 30-06 MAke SURE THAT YOU USE A PREM. BULLET. THE NOSLER 180 GR. , OR THE SWIFT A-FRAME TYPE BULLETS.

They are not easily killed. and they do tend to get agressive if being choused. These Oryx have been hunted day in and day out here. So yes they are kind of truck shy. If they see you they will RUN. So just be prepared.

And allways GOOD LUCK.

huter338