Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

#6 Cat Scratch Fever (Good News x 6)

Old 08-29-2004, 11:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Good News x 2

Sounds like a nice little outing to the Buffalo patch. It would almost be worth the cost to move into that special Class of hunter that one becomes by sleeping on a jagged rock and risking life and limb. Good place to drink a few sixpacks and maybe sleep-in. Wish I was one of the big boys.
Old 08-29-2004, 05:37 PM

Default RE: Good News x 2

i don't think you'll see me out there any time[&:] i am so disaponited[X(]...... i really wanted to tell my buddy's "yea you see that big hole right there?" 'yup' "well i got that sucka when i was out tracking this thing that looks like a big mean bull in thick cover"
Old 08-30-2004, 12:44 AM

Default RE: Good News x 5

“.. .. .. and risking life and limb.”
Why, James if I’m not mistaken you were the one that was kinda promoting that there was effectively no risk to African Dangerous Game hunting especially with the PH being “right there” to handle things that such problems are essentially non-existent.

BTW, you indicated earlier you were going to “look into it” regarding the risk factor.
Update?

EKM
Old 08-30-2004, 01:03 AM

killer243,

IMHO, it's a leeetle different ballgame when the game hunts back. Kinda raises the hair on your neck when you think of "stepping into their shoes of the people in these stories" don't it? They appear to have a little different "temper to their steel" in my opine.

This thread is the "good news" version with the happy/semi-happy endings. Scroll down to "bad news" for the stories that are a little uglier.

EKM
Old 08-30-2004, 10:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Never said no such thing. Just pointing out that its not any more dangerous than many other things we do in life. And that danger you put yourself into doesn't warrant much concern IMO. And of course being a good american I don't hold with classing hunter do to thier financial ability or hunting expierence. Nor your distain for deer hunters which your discription of sounds like an add for PETA. Anyone with hunting skills and ability to shoot will get by well in Africa or anywhere else they choose or can afford to hunt. I have trouble with better than thou attitudes. Good hunting.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:06 AM

No update? Any similar info (even anecdotal) demonstrating (or even hinting at) the existence of essentially an "equivalent risk" across the board relative to the nature of the game being hunted (e.g. Alaskan or African Dangerous Game versus say, that venerable American Gold Standard --- the Whitetail Deer)?

Just referring to some of this year's incidents, I’m wondering if the families of Bob Fontana, Niki Atcheson, Howard Hunter, and Pat Lefemine, et al would agree with your general risk assessment.

BTW, the "financial ability" issue that you mention and are apparently trying to attribute to me is something conjured up and introduced by someone else. I don't know why or how it is even in this discussion. I sure didn't bring it up at any time nor have I tried to sneak it in the "back door" and pawn it off as being any sort of relevent for this discussion, so....

Did you dream it up, or was it someone else?

EKM
Old 08-31-2004, 09:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Just Meaning that for the majority of hunters who could never dream of comming up with the money for such a hunt I quess they will have to stay in your lower class. The ones without the special steel. Some of us were lucky and Uncle Sam paid for many of our hunting trips. Otherwise I would have probably never hunted outside the U.S. Good Luck and I hope you make it back there again. Have a good Elk Season.
Old 09-04-2004, 11:33 AM

James,

I have taken two three days to ponder a suitable response, since this is a bit disturbing and I am concerned about "pushing too far" ……

This has been a quiet little thread for those who are interested and it is being used to gather (bit by bit) some of the information that was not available in a discussion 6 months ago --- some of it is good and some of it is not so good in the eventual outcome. I see you have arrived with no similar information of your own --- no change from six months ago --- and seemingly showed up with a chip on your shoulder looking for trouble….

In the course of this thread (and others), I have addressed far away places, exotic game, adventure, and danger and the growth that can come to a person from successfully completing such a quest and in the process I have addressed several issues. In each case, you seem to have come up with a heavily biased take on it ……

I said "come back a different class of hunter", you seemingly choose to hear "low and high classes of hunter" and promptly placed yourself in the lower of the two classes you seem to have “heard/created” in your mind and then jumped at the opportunity to take me to task for your version of it.

I didn’t mention ANYTHING about “money and financial ability,” however you introduced financial ability criteria and then promptly placed yourself (and seemingly 95% of the hunter population) in the “poor boy” group and then blamed me for talking about it when you are the one who brought it up.

I said “temper your steel” as a compliment to DG hunters who “have been there and done it” when I talked about someone going face to face with dangerous game in difficult circumstances (like bowhunting brown bear or taking on a charging cape buffalo). You turned it into “special steel” like I had it and you didn’t. No.

Now the TOTAL misquote on the “Bambi” thread. I don’t mind being taken to task for my positions but things need to be accurate and straight forward.

It is my opinion that you are a worthy power house of knowledge and experience. I apologize that life has perhaps treated you unfairly that somehow it appears it is necessary to fabricate and snipe at those who are striving for or taking a different track than you chose and then want to talk about it.

Regretfully,
EKM
Old 09-04-2004, 04:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

You read me all wrong. Its true thay many many huntwers will never be able to afford a trip abroad to hunt. They are however IN MY BOOK the class of hunter that I am or that enyone else here is. I had the good fortune to hunt all over the world for six years at government expense. I have certainlt not been delt a bad hand by life as I would not trade my life expierence for that of anyone I know. I do feel that many otherr probably are more deserving of the life I have lead than I am. I have been delt some health problems later in life but certainly not more than many others my age and even younger. Many of my younger hunting partners are gone already. Anyway It all comes down to this. I shudder at talk of classes of hunters or anything else for reasons that often can not be helped. Expierence is one thing. Classing is something else. I regret if I have misunderstood your Idea of different classes of hunters. And once agiain I have been blessed beyond belief and Any Idea I gave off that is different than that is a mistake on my part or someone elses but not true. I have been so lucky to be able to gain the epierence that I have as being a hunter has always been a hugh part of my life.
Although I sometimes would suggest a bigger gun, I know for sure that the 30-06 will kill any animal on this planet and do it rather well. I hope you have a good Elk season and from your other post your right. Its that time of year and all is well. I pity those who have not spent many night under the stars or I should say, I hope that there turn will come. Nothing wrong with bigger tools for bigger jobs. Just a last thought.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:59 PM

Default RE: Good <span class="high">News</span> x 6

GOOD NEWS #6:

A little "do da" from over at Accuratereloading.com ---- Here Kitty, Kitty ---- Nice Kitty ---- Leopard Attack!

================
I thought everyone would really enjoy the following story from Jumbo Moore (outfitter zim) about a bit of a fight he had with a leopard this spring.

Dear All,

A quick message as we (Tom Ondrus & I) pass through town on the way to the ele camp. We have just finished hunting on the ARDA concession. We were predominately after leopard and some plains game. As it is Tom's 4th trip to Africa (1st with me), he has collected the majority of the plainsgame. We did get half a dozen impala baits and a couple of zebra which we used for bait and ended up shooting the leopard off. Yesterday we took a big black "stink" giraffe bull with his .577 double rifle. It was pretty impressive seeing the hitting power of that 750 grain bullet on that big animal. It did not knock him over but the giraffe did not make it more than 10 paces before he fell over.

Well, now for the leopard story!! Those of you who are familiar with ARDA know the famous "Leopard Rock". Ian Chase Dunn (2002) & Butch Lockerby (2003) took their big cats off here. Tom was no difference and he ended up taking a 7' 5", 175 lb tom cat on day 4 of hunting. (See the picture). There was a slight hiccup on this hunt though. The cat came in at 7.30 pm and Tom shot him, too far forward and through the meat of the front leg. It was pretty obvious from the instance he was shot that I was going to have my hands full. He actually ran straight towards the blind, probably just running towards the light as they generally do when you shoot them when they are looking at the light. He ended up lying down no more than 20 yards from the blind but we could not see him due to the long grass. It didn't take long to realise that he was not dying. We sat still for close to 1/2 a hour and finally I decided to call the truck in. The cat then decided to move off up the hill. This was definitely a case for a morning follow up.

We started the follow up at 7.30 am after the sun was high enough up to eliminate some of the shadows. The bush was thick and it was an uphill follow up. Everything was in the cats favour. There was not a lot of blood and it was extremely slow going. Patson & Abel (my 2 x trackers) and Chisepe (the gamescout) did a marvellous job of keeping me on the track. In 3 hours we had covered no more than 200 yards. We went through thick bush, rocky outcrops, CAVES, and the rest. The cat was just moving from ambush place to ambush place in front of us.

We finally came to a rocky ledge round a corner and all our senses was telling us, this is where it is going to happen. I started round the bend on the ledge. The ledge was about 10 foot wide with a sheer drop off of about 70 foot into rocks below. Not a very pleasant sight! About a third of the way around the corner was an entrance to a cave. This took about 5 mins to check the entrance and for me to pluck up enough courage to actually stick your head around the corner and into the dark cave to check for the cat. Nothing!! We continued forward and further round the corner. Another cave but it had a smaller entrance which I had to get down onto my hands and knees to check in. This probably gave me a false sense of security as surely a cat would need more space to charge from. Using my flash light, I peered around the corner. Nothing!! It was a long and thin cave. Probably starting off at 3 ft wide and narrowed and 30 ft long with a dead end (I thought). Back up on my feet and off round the corner again with trackers and g/scout in tow. Into the thick bush we went again but no tracks. We scouted around for about 10 mins and finally we decided that the cat must have decided to turn back before crossing the open rock ledge. No tracks were found on the other side as well and I decided to call a rest. We all sat on the rock ledge and took a breather.

For some reason Patson sat with his back to the entrance of the small cave. I was actually talking to Patson when all of a sudden he virtually turned white. His eyes were huge and slowly he turned around and turned the flash light on into the cave. He seemed to settle down a bit and all of a sudden it was elbows & a--es as he took off. He didn't say a thing but kept pointing into the cave. Finally I got it out of him that he saw the cats tail move at the end of the cave. What we originally thought was a dead end was actually the wall of the cave as it bent around a corner to the right. The cat was lying down facing away from us. I sat at the entrance with the shotgun and had the boys throw stones inside to try and get the cat to come out. It was going to be easy, narrow cave, shotgun with 000buck at point blank range! Nothing happened. Not even a sound out of the cat. Next plan, Patson you shoot my .44 Mag into the cave at the direction of the tail. Boom! Nothing! The tail didn't even move. Next plan, somebody crawl in there and recover the cat. I wonder why I didn't get any volunteers?!? No space for the shotgun and me, so I took the .44 and flash light and gave the shotgun to Patson. I started to crawl into the cave on my belly and there was absolutely no movement from the tail. One body length into the cave and here comes a leopard slowly in reverse gear. I must say it must have been commical as I was pretty impressive wriggling backwards in reverse at high speed. When I got to the entrance, I waited for him to reverse around the corner. Finally he had come far enough around the corner for me to drive the .44 up his rear end and hopefully into his chest. Well apart from blowing my ears out and turbo charging the cat, there was not much change except time went by extremely quickly. In a fraction of a second he reversed back far enough that the cave got wide enough for him to spin around and make eye contact with me. He covered the remaining distance in milli seconds. The last thing I remember was firing another shot into his face at point blank range and trying to roll out of the way.

I felt the cat run over me. Then I felt the cat jump back onto me and then another deafening boom. There was plenty of growling through out this. I was back on my feet in time to see the cat going over the cliff. I managed to empty the .44 in the general direction of the cat as it swan dived through the air and then took off into the dense undergrowth. It was at this stage that I noticed blood running down my face and arms. I actually got away extremely lightly. I think this was due to actually putting the cat off balance with the frontal .44 shot at point blank range. I had actually shot it off centre down the side of the neck and we recovered the bullet under the skin on its rump. Not bad penetration at all.

Patson told me how it had run over me and then spun around and jumped back onto me and this is when he pumped it with the shotgun. The wad was recovered inside the shoulder of the cat. I took one claw through the peak of my cap and into my eye brow, a couple into my right hand and arm, my jeans and cover alls look light swiss cheese oh, I nearly forgot, one of the 000Buck pellets made it through the cat and through my clothing and into my leg! I found some lead shraple in my arm later, obviously it had bounced off the rock face.

We found the cat dead in the undergrowth. I am very fortunate that Patson had shot it off me even though the .44 shot was fatal, that cat was going to work me over pretty good until his last breath had run out. I suppose that I am fortunate as well that Patson hit the cat fair & square and not me.

We are now off to the ele camp and I hope we end off the hunt with no more incidents. This is definitely too much for the first hunt of the year. The wounds are fine and thanks to all of you who have given me your spare first aid items such as antibiotics etc, I am well onto my way to a full recovery. Soon, I won't even have any scars to show for the war stories.

Regards to all and safe hunting for the rest of the year.

Jumbo

P.S. now it is 32 successful leopard hunts out of 35!!!!
=================

I don't think we are in Kansas anymore, Todo!

EKM