Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

[Deleted]

Old 07-16-2004, 03:20 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-16-2004, 04:12 PM

Default RE: Antelope hunting gear?

I hunted south of casper last october which was my first western hunt. At the end of my hunt I made a list of things I wished I had and things I was grateful I took with me. For boots I took light weight suede/cordura with goretex. (didn't need the goretex) I wished I had topgrain leather boots cuz the catus got me a couple of times. Make sure your boots are broke in. I didn't feel like carrying the weight of a bipod on my rifle so I carried steady-stix. Good bino's are an absolute must have no question. For clothes I wore non-insulated saddle cloth pants and jacket with a cabela's micro tex shirt. I really think this was the best answer for clothes I could come up with. It was below freezing in the morning and seventy degrees in the middle of the day. Both the saddle cloth and the microtex are very wind resistant which is a huge factor. Also saddle cloth is some what rain resistant. Oh and one last thing take some chap stick(Its drier than a popcorn fart)
Old 07-16-2004, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Otis, I hunted down in w. yellowstone last year in oct. and at night I froze my a$$ off and during the day it was like being in a roteserrie (sp?)
It seems like you got it together as far as gear but maybe too much as I would keep it light and simple, no need in bringing waders.. When dropping a goat in 90f - 100 plus temps, the most important thing is get the hide off and get that dang thing cooled down ASAP. I don't mean driving back hours in the back of the truck but right when you get back to the truck so it can be kooled down. I can deal with the cold but the heat will roast ya. Cheque out the local regs and maybe you can use a white hankerchief tied to a fishing pole. Those dang goats are curious as hell as I had a doe and yearling coming within 20 yrds when I was field dressing my elk last year but I was so exhausted in dealing with that elk by meself that I just didn't want to deal with another critter. Good luck, Bobby
Old 07-16-2004, 07:57 PM

I grew up in SW Wyoming and have hunted Antelope for many.. many years. I agree with the guys above on clothes so I'll talk tactics and hunting gear.

I'll echo the Binocs statement. You need a great pair and/or a good spotting scope. The country is very open, so glassing huge amounts of territory will always be in play. When judging Antelope from a distance you will want to look for a few things. Experience Antelope hunters refer to "double their ears". Compare the horn height to their ears and you will get a quick guage for general size. An antelope that is "double it's ears" is usually around 14". Next, look for color. You want to see nice dark black patches on his neck/face. Mature bucks have more, etc. Finally, look at their cutters. You want nice big cutters. Some Antelope hunters want the nice heart shape too, but I personally want mass and height. They do look good and make nice mount though.

Antelope are roamers, so always be on the look out. One thing to look for while in the field is water. I know it might be the old "duh" factor, but people often overlook how dry it really is out there. Antelope love cattle water troughs, so if you see some out there, it might be worth sitting on. We used to bow hunt this way alot. Obviously that will be dependant on your area, but something to look for.

As far as guns, almost anything will kill an Antelope. They aren't very big and don't take bullets well. I personally like a light load with a 7mm (140 gr). This is a big gun for Antelope, but the power isn't why I shoot it, it more the ballistics for possible long shots. Open country can equal some long shoots.

Good luck and have fun!! Welcome to the West too!
Old 07-16-2004, 08:28 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-17-2004, 12:58 PM

Otis,

You are going to a good area for antelope!

Moose to speed goats, eh? Swampy and wet to bone dry and windy as hell! Cat tails to cactus. Yep, it will be different alright; however, I’m betting it will be easier coming out west than it would be for us to go into your moose country.

Mid October – that is Indian summer here, cool nights and warm (sometimes hot) days; a snow storm (flurry) is possible but won’t last long and is likely to melt off dry the next day.

In answer to your question, different tricks for staying comfortable is one challenge (easily met). Factor 45 sun screen, good sun glasses, lip balm, camel back with water for staying hydrated, plenty of layers to keep pace with the temperature swings.

Compared to your (I imagine) swamp areas, getting around out here should be easy just remember one thing. By October things are grazed down pretty well. If you see a clump of grass that is uneaten, then you can bet that at its core is a cactus and that is why the cows (or antelope) left it be, you should do the same. While the large cactus needles may make the largest “mark” and the largest first impression, they are easily removed and it heals up fairly quickly. The most aggravating cactus are the ones with real little needles (almost hair like). One you can’t see them, and two, if you do, then they tend to break off when you try to pull them out and they your body just has to absorb them. I hope you come up zero-zero on the cactus count.

The knee and elbow pads are a good idea. I’d recommend leather gloves over “space age fabric” gloves. Otherwise, antelope are a bit smaller than deer for sighting purposes and I’d practice at two, three, and four hundred yards…. Sometimes you gotta “stretch it” to make anything happen at all.

BTW, interested in “swapping” a two man moose hunt for a two man elk hunt in upcoming years?

Good Luck and Good Hunting,
EKM
Old 07-17-2004, 07:29 PM

Otis,

I hunted antelope in NE Wyoming last year. First Western hunt for me as well. At night the temps were in the low 40's, one night in the 30's, and during the day averged in the mid 70's, one day hit 85. Gear we found usefull was good binoculors, spotting scopes, laser range finders, bi-pods/shooting sticks. I used plain jane Wal-Mart leather boots, did wear wool socks as the morning temps were cold. Items I wished I had brought was chapstick, sun-block, sunglasses. The way we hunted (guided) was with two parties of hunters. Started out opening morning with each party setting an ambush. At least 1/2 the hunters got their antelope this way. The rest of us, myself included, spot and stalked the rest of the day to tag out, which I found to be a BLAST. The sheer numbers of antelope we saw kept the hunt very fun. You should be prepaired to make a 300 yard shot, though you can and probably will get closer. I took mine at 285 yds, looked closer, but was confirmed with a lazer range finder. The distance's out there are very deceiving.

The best advice I can give being a novice myself is:

1. Don't shoot the first buck you see
2. Practice long range shooting to 300-400yds
3. Have Fun
Old 07-17-2004, 08:32 PM

I was wondering what type of footwear you western guys usually wear?
A great pair of running shoes!!
I normally take my normal hiking boots for them. And wear layers 'cause in the mornings and evenings you are going to freeze and in the day you are going to bake!
Bring a cooler filled with ice to put your antelope quarters in as soon as you get back to your truck. It makes a world of difference in the taste if you quarter it and put it on ice ASAP!!!!! Good luck, and shoot a good 'un!
Old 07-17-2004, 08:36 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-23-2004, 06:56 PM

you wont need the irrigation boots, just some leather hunting/hikeing boots wool socks are good. your clothes sound good, but bring some lighter things and layer them. However, dont leave your outer layers behind when you get warm, put them in your daypack, because if you dont like the weather in Wyo wait 5min and it will change. shooting stix are a good idea also because you will face some LONG shots and there is rarely anything to rest on. If the weather goes bad dont quit!!! goats use mainly eye sight for defense and nothing helps you out like a little wind w/ snow in the air. good glass is important. good luck

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.