Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

[Deleted]

Old 07-23-2004, 09:24 PM

Default RE: Antelope hunting gear?

Ditto the gear suggested! Be prepared for cold night's and warm days. Use whichever bullet shoots best in your 7mm, as stated before they don't take bullets well. I have found however that stout bullets actually are less destructive on meat than soft points and Ballistic Tip type bullets. I would personally choose a Fail Safe, Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, Barnes X, or any good Bonded core bullet like the Scirocco, or Accubond. There is also nothing wrong with the Partition. Get that antelope field dressed and cut up (quartered) ASAP, it does make a BIG difference in final taste. Pack extra bags of ice to pack with the meat. A dressed antelope will fit in 1 or 2 spare coolers. As atated before it can get quite warm during the day, so don't let the meat spoil or your whole hunt is wasted. Good luck! P.S. by the way I live in Wyoming and have much experience with antelope.
Old 07-24-2004, 10:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

My first western hunt was for the prarie goat in 2001 and it was one of the most fun hunts ive ever been on. I think for boots, take a light uninsulated hiking boot and some insulated ones just in case if possible, i wore rocky cornstalkers and ended up pulling the laces so my feet would be cooler. Also i agree with the shooting stix, they are more versatile than a bipod and just as steady, i was in a group of five guys, and two had bipods but ended up shooting their goats off of the stix cause they liked em better. i shot my goat with a 270 wby mag at 300 yards and i see no need to have to practice any further than that , if you cant get closer wait and try again for that buck or find a new one to go after. also you might wanna take a 22 to shoot at prarie dogs and jack rabbits after you tag out that adds some excitement to the hunt. good luck.
Old 08-02-2004, 03:18 PM

I was out near Rawlins last sept. and all you need to wear is hiking boots. do not wear wool or insulated socks your feet will die. for pants all I wore was jeans with a light camo pair over them. for a jacket just wear a t-shirt(best is camo but not needed, but pick a light color) with a camo sweater over, and last a orange vest and hat. I shot my buck from about 180 yrds away. he measured 14.5 in but I shot him with a 243 not a bow so no record book for me. there's always the future. good luck on your hunt.

cnhntr

and remember... Let him go so he can Grow!
Old 08-02-2004, 09:44 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-03-2004, 11:06 AM

Otis,

Yes, the fully processed antelope will fit in a regular cooler, it is not a ton of meat.
Yes, you can get dry ice at grocery stores BUT not at all grocery stores. King Soopers/City Market are the big boys out here along with (to a lesser degree) Safeway and Albertsons. Even in my suburban area, if you call around, there is at least one store that has dry ice. In more rural towns, if it is a fair size town (say 5,000 or so [heh, heh]), they will likely have the dry ice for rural ranch folks who have to travel one to two hours to get home. They should be able to fix you up in Douglas.

Assuming you'll take I-80 on the way back, Cabelas at Sidney Nebraska has dry ice and is always a fun place to stop. In fact you could just go from Cabelas to Cabelas as you head east.

If I am using the dry ice to "sharp freeze" warm meat, then I figure 1 pound dry ice to 1.75 pounds of meat and figure I will have to restock it fairly soon. Once sharp frozen, I figure 1 pound dry ice to 3.75 pounds meat for transport, last year $.79 per pound was a good price for dry ice. We put layers of cardboard between the layers of meat and don't let the dry ice rest on directly on the meat. The cardboard with the one inch holes in it is best and we cut it to where there is AT LEAST a one inch gap between the edge of the cardboard and the cooler wall (circulation). All directions say put the dry ice on top (cold goes down). We have always had better luck "layering" dry ice at the top and at two other spots below. when you refresh the supply you can just put it on top. Use some masking tape to seal the cooler, but poke a hole in the "tape seal" with a pencil to give the carbon dioxide vapor a place to escape. Keep your cab ventilated if you are carrying the cooler inside.

Also, as mentioned, be sure to have coolers and ice in the truck when you are hunting so you can cool the meat down some immediately after field dressing, there is a fine line between hmmm good antelope and ugh.

Side note. With deer you avoid touching the scent glands on the rear legs when field dressing, with antelope it is the horns (they are "greasy") so whoever grabs the head for what ever reason, keep them away from the meat. Antelope hair sheds easily, is brittle (actually it is hollow) and tends to get into every thing (unfortunately). When you are gutting them antelope smell a little different, don't let it throw you.

Good Luck with your hunt,
EKM
Old 08-03-2004, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great replies guys. I just changed internet servers so also had to re register here. Formerly Otis now TerryM.
Thanks a bunch EKM!
Old 08-03-2004, 03:05 PM

I'll be hunting in Wyoming area 80 with the 270 sept 1 last time out wore light camo pants and light shirt and hiking shoes was done first hour. 14 incher. Had him in cooler 1 hour later also don't drag them if your going to mount him.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Already thought about not dragging them. I built a stretcher, should be a snap to get one out for 2 guys.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:15 PM

If you have a 4wheeler bring it. they help out so much! and a bunch of those bungey cords to strap them down.
Old 08-04-2004, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

The landowner where we will be hunting does not allow ATVs on her property. From the photos I have seen it looks like pretty flat and easy walking, should not be hard to remove game. We are use to lugging moose quarters out of swamps, these should be easy.

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.