Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Will Altitude effect gun sighted in at lower altitude

Old 07-14-2004, 07:54 PM

Default Will Altitude effect gun sighted in at lower altitude

I will be hunting in Colorado Unit 65 near Ridgeway during the week of October 16-22.This will be my 1st Elk hunt and needless to say,I'm pretty jacked about it.We'll travel out from Nebraska once in late August or early september to become aquainted with the area a little.I've got a few questions for folks to answer:

As an over the counter unit,how does 65 compare to others? What will the hunting pressure be like? This will be a dual Elk/Mulie hunt for me,what is the area like for deer and what can I expect to see as far as deer? Should I be prepared to see bear? If so, are they much threat? In camp? If I sight my 7mm Mag in for 200 yards back home,how will altitude effect a 200 yard shot.How close is this area,an what length of shot is most likely?

That's probably enough for now.I've been a lurker for quite a while,and enjoyed in tremendously but registered to get a few questions answered.I'm delighted to join the ranks!
Old 07-14-2004, 10:01 PM

Default RE: Will Altitude effect gun sighted in at lower altitude

Check out this thread from a few months ago for some info: http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.asp?m=630525
Old 07-14-2004, 11:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Recheck your zero when you arrive at your hunting designation. You will shoot a little bit flatter do to thinner air (less resistance). www.handloads.com has a trajectory curve that includes elevation. Good luck.
Old 07-15-2004, 02:43 AM

Mid Plains,

First of all, welcome to the boards! And congratulations on your upcoming elk hunt!

Second, always check your sight in when you arrive in elk country, but not for altitude adjustment, but just so you know in your heart of hearts that the rifle is hitting where you left it on leaving home. Look at the numbers on the quoted 9,000 foot elevation swing....

30-06 165gr Interbond load: 10,000 ft elevation
yards velocity energy ftlbs drop
0 2900 3081 -1.50
100 2747 2765 1.56
200 2600 2477 0.00
300 2457 2212 -6.65
400 2319 1970 -19.06 ....

30-06 165gr Interbond load: 1000 ft elevation
yards velocity energy ftlbs drop
0 2900 3081 -1.50
100 2691 2654 1.66
200 2492 2276 0.00
300 2302 1941 -7.21
400 2120 1646 -21.12 ....
So,
0 yards, no change
100 yards, 0.10" difference (common range)
200 yards, no change (common range)
300 yards, 0.56" difference (long shot)
400 yards, 2.43" difference (damn long shot)

IMHO, out of all the things that can cause you not to get an elk, I would list this as being one of the smallest; however, it does make for suitable fodder for a benchrest discussion. If you are still concerned about it then take a handful of 200 yard shots when you do your scouting trip at altitude so you know in your heart of hearts that it is essentially a non-issue.

Assuming (ouch) that you have taken some of those Nebraska deer and know what to do with them once they are down, .... the main adjustment to be concerned with is your own physical conditioning, it don't necessarily take all that much, but start working out early. If you can't get into what you think is the proper shape, then be sure to level with your guide/host/self with plenty of time in advance to allow for an attempt to accomodate your limitations....

Equally important is your "attitude adjustment".... bring all your mental toughness and tenacity with you and figure on a fair measure of physical and mental discomfort before (and after) you receive your reward. Persistance and a "can do"/"will do" approach will take you a long way in spite of other possible short comings. I had two Nebraska boys in camp last year, both 58, one with asthma and one with arthritis and they both did great ---- you can too.

I'll leave it to others to address your other "area specific" questions....

Good Luck and Good Hunting,
EKM
Old 07-17-2004, 09:44 AM

I,m 47 years old,but by most standards I'm in excellent condition (wrestling coach) and intend to work hard on being tip top when I arrive.We will do 1 scouting trip which will give me some idea what the area is like and allow me to see how I hold up hiking.I'm a little concerned with altitude (not attitude) adjustment,since a year ago or so we did some hiking on Mt. Harvard and for 1 day at least did experience some headaches.I've heard that you can take herbal ginger for a few days prior and it has good results.Has anyone else (flatlander) tried this,and with what results?

Has anyone else on the board hunted the wilderness near Ridgeway?I'd like some feedback as to what to expect for Elk, as well as deer.

Elkcampmaster, yes I've taken many Nebraska deer,both rifle and ML but never hunted in the mountains.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:40 PM

conditioning is the #1 factor. altitude will affect your gun because you'll panting like a dog that just ran 30 miles in august. other than that only normal bumps and bangs will put your rifle off. If your in good shape it would be to your advantage to find someone in the area who will pack one out for you if you get it far from the road. That way you can hunt to the limits of you condition w/o worrying about the pack out. Also be sure to know how to bone an animal out in case you cant find a horse. talk to any guides, outfitters, ranchers, anyone w/ horses and offer a couple hundred dollars to pack for you. Good luck
Old 08-05-2004, 07:53 AM
Fork Horn

Mid Plains,

I do a lot of 14er climbing here in Colorado and you will adjust to the altitude in a day or two. The best way to avoid the headaches/nausea associated with altitude sickness is to drink plenty of water. You won't be thirsty, but drink anyway. The higher you go, the drier the air and the more fluids you need to intake. You can also take some motion sickness pills (I prefer Bonine) to help alleviate some of the discomfort, but that should not replace water. Did I mention drink lots of water?