Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

North Slope Caribou Hunt

Old 07-02-2004, 06:57 PM

Default North Slope Caribou Hunt

Hi all,
I'm going on an 8 day drop hunt for caribou the beginning of August. Some of you may have been on a similar hunt so I want to pick at your thoughts. Do I need to bring hip waders (chest waders?)? How much time would I spend in them if you think they are needed? One of the hunters I am going with will need to buy some and I don't want him to have to spend extra money if he doesn't need to.
Any other things that stand out in your memory as must haves or must do? I think I have most things covered but I like to hear the thoughts of others!
Mike McAllister
www.superslamcountdown.com
Old 07-06-2004, 07:13 PM

Default RE: North Slope Caribou Hunt

You should ask your transporter, but generally speaking, you probably don't need hip boots for a North Slope hunt. Are you going to Happy Valley? or do you plan on driving the Haul Rd and bow hunting?

Also, for the beginning of August hunt, bring lots of bug spray AND a head net. The mosquitos are gonna just be unreal. Also, good rain gear, and if you can afford the weight, I am a big fan of a cot.
Old 07-12-2004, 06:51 PM

Default RE: North Slope Caribou Hunt

Thanks Alaska Magnum,
Plenty of DEET, ready for rain, bought a great mountaineering tent for the wind, and my Cabela's portable cot is packed.
I just got back from a family vacation and intend to call my transporter tomorrow about the need for hip waders and if he is seeing caribou. Generally get to be sure we are ready and he is ready for us.
When I booked the trip he gave us a range from the Killik R. to the Canning R. to be dropped in for the same price, depending where we found caribou. If unsuccessful I've saved a couple days for the haul road.
Thanks again
Mike McAllister
www.superslamcountdown.com