Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

H2O purification systems, are they safe?

Old 06-28-2004, 05:28 PM

Default H2O purification systems, are they safe?

Hunters:

I am looking for hunters who have used a water purification system in the high country or backwoods, my questions are the following, are the systems useful in isolated area's? Are they cumbersome to have in your pack? has anyone gotten sick from drinking unfiltered water, how sick did you get? What type of illness did you have? Anyone hospitalized for water borne illnesses. Any information would be greatly appreciated, thanks so much.

Dr. Mike
RMOA-TV
Old 06-28-2004, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: H2O purification systems, are they safe?

Hi,

I work for the Forest Service in a large wilderness area so I've spent some time in the high country with only my filter to rely on.

I've had Giardia twice in my life. This was from drinking water without using a filter. I have never drank water since without using a filter. Trust me, if you get sick with Giardia while in the back country (incubation is ~two weeks if i recall) and your alone...you stand a good chance of not making it out.

It was the worst illness by far I have ever seen or heard of. You are in a constant state of dehydration and weakness, I also had chills, fevers, sweats and persisent diarrhea for more than 24 hours before I finally sought medical attention. Basically, you will be incapacitated if you get this disease.

I strongly reccomend NOT drinking ANY water no matter how clean it looks without first filtering it. There are a ton of easy to use, light, and relatively inexspensive water filters on the market.

I personally use one from www.MSRcorp.com which is Mountain Safety Research. I will provide you with a link to what I feel is the best model they have to offer.

http://www.msrcorp.com/filters/simplicity.asp

good luck!
Old 06-28-2004, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a MSR filter, always use it, and have never been ill after drinking filtered water. Don't leave home without it! I know of guys who never use one, and never get sick, but I am not that lucky. This is a disease you don't want.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:03 AM

Depends what you want. If you get a water filter that just hits gyradia, no, they are not really all that safe. If you get a true purification system, know how to use it, and maitain it, then yep, they work just fine.

I use the MSR minworks, and highly recommend it. Only problem is the ceramic filter WILL freeze and crack, so you need to sleep with it in your bag or keep it warm until it dries when camping cold weather. I have also used the Katydn.