Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Wich Binoculars?

Old 06-24-2004, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Wich Binoculars?

Wich bincoculars and power do you guys favor for spotting game? Im looking at some 10-44's leupold wind rivers cascades ithink they where, any experience with these? Also with 10x how far should i be able to see game clearly enough to tell if its a mature deer or not.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:14 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Wich Binoculars?

I tried some different ones and went with Steiner 8 x 30 Military Marine binocs. They were about what I wanted to spend $190 and they passed the test last fall out in Montana glassing for muleys. Maybe not as powerful but clear picture and I like that each eye piece has it's own focus that you can work while holding with thumb and pointer finger.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a pair of the 10x42 Cascades. I bought them 2 years ago. I have not been disappointed. As far as Clarity, they are good, but not as good as higher price glass like Leica and Swarovski. I have been able to count tines on bucks at well over 500 yds with no problem. I would have to say they have been well worth the money!
Old 06-24-2004, 02:21 PM
DM

I've owned a "lot" of different bino's... over the years, and some of them were even pretty good. Even within the same brand and model, you can find "ringers", or duds.

I had a really "good" pair of cheaper Bushnells that were VERY good, but i gave them to a friend that flew me to the interior of Alaska with his super cub on a long winded hunt i was on, just because he didn't have bino's at all. I had a very good pair of Minolta's one time too. I sold them when i bought a pair of Zeiss bino's. Then there's the 10x50 Bushnells i still have, but they are so darn heavy!! They get a lot of use, but none of it out in the field!! They are very good glass though!!

BUT, i quit tradeing around when i got my 8x30 Swarovski's!! They will be the last pair of bino's i'll ever have to buy, and i've already used them more than 15 years!! They look like they will go "at least" another hundred years or so too! :&gt I still like them better than anything else i've used.

Drilling Man

Old 06-24-2004, 06:17 PM

I have the Leica's 8* 50, and they are a fine piece of glass. Really, when you get into the high end glass like Leica or Swaraski, Zeiss, etc., its just a matte rof personnel preference. I like the center adjustment knobs on the Leica's and the eye relief cups the best. The Zeiss and Swaros did not feel as crisp to me, but I am sure others would say something about the Leica's. Mine are a little heavy, but if you use the crooked-horn outfitter type harness, you can carry a heavier glass without any discomfort.
Old 06-25-2004, 07:40 AM

Treedog I think you're on the right track. Regardless what anyone says, you can't go wrong with Leupold. Cristal clear and guarenteed for life. My personal call is 10 power for general use binocs with as large a lens as you're comfortable with. I use Leuplod 12x50 for out west where you spend allot of time glassing. I find them to be lighter, more comfortable, and easier to use than a spotting scope and I have yet to find a situation that I've had too much power. If an animals that close, I didn't need the glasses anyway. Buy the best you can afford and what looks the best to you. Take care of them and they'll last you a lifetime. Good hunting.
Old 07-24-2004, 11:18 PM

most people can handle 8X, many can handle 10X, a few can handle 12X. Borrow a pair and see how long you can use each power before your eye balls pop out and roll down the hill. By all accounts variable power binos are worthless. Leupolds are always good. I have steiner predators 12X I like them alot, one feature I like is that they are constant focus, you dont refocus them every time you change distance. basically the more you spend the better you get, in every price range its a matter of personal taste, find the ones you like then hunt for a good deal.