Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Question on elk racks?

Old 06-28-2004, 02:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Question on elk racks?

Thanks a million, bob d, elknut 1, and utahhntr! I appreciate it. For the rest of you, plphhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

The bull I'm sizing up by rubs was perfectly bracketing 8 1/2" diameter lodgepoles with his HORNS, tearing bejesus out of the bark at opposite sides of the tree. On smaller trees, 7 to 7 1/2" diameter, the rubs were left in a way that made it clear the tree was "too small" for his HORNS. I mean that on the smaller trees, at the lower sweep of rubbed off bark, one side would be 12-15" lower than the other, indicating he was working first one brow tine and then the other. At least that's how I see it.

He left several dozen rubs on a benchy ridgeline connecting two elk holes. Found fresh tracks in there of a huge size to indicate he's still alive this year. Judging from the excellent info you all provided, I'll guess he's going to score 300 plus this year. His tracks suggest to me that he's 5 or 6 years old. Also, I found a shed in there that had lain on the ground for a year, this shed of a 4 1/2 year old bull, by my math this shedhorn bull would be 6 years old now. Whoopee!

(Note my continued stubborn insistence on saying HORNS, HORNS, HORNS! I like saying HORNS!)
Old 06-28-2004, 03:17 PM

Just checked this board for the first time in a month or so. Nevertheless, I measured the bull I took in Colorado last year in GMU 201. If I'm measuring where you indicated, it's 5 1/2". The bull was estimated to be 10 years old, was a 6 x 6, and green scored 342 (with 4 broken tines).
Old 06-28-2004, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Dirt2

Thanks a million, bob d, elknut 1, and utahhntr! I appreciate it. For the rest of you, plphhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

The bull I'm sizing up by rubs was perfectly bracketing 8 1/2" diameter lodgepoles with his HORNS, tearing bejesus out of the bark at opposite sides of the tree. On smaller trees, 7 to 7 1/2" diameter, the rubs were left in a way that made it clear the tree was "too small" for his HORNS. I mean that on the smaller trees, at the lower sweep of rubbed off bark, one side would be 12-15" lower than the other, indicating he was working first one brow tine and then the other. At least that's how I see it.

He left several dozen rubs on a benchy ridgeline connecting two elk holes. Found fresh tracks in there of a huge size to indicate he's still alive this year. Judging from the excellent info you all provided, I'll guess he's going to score 300 plus this year. His tracks suggest to me that he's 5 or 6 years old. Also, I found a shed in there that had lain on the ground for a year, this shed of a 4 1/2 year old bull, by my math this shedhorn bull would be 6 years old now. Whoopee!

(Note my continued stubborn insistence on saying HORNS, HORNS, HORNS! I like saying HORNS!)

If you will stop making yourself look ignorant by continuing to use the term "horns" when they are actually antlers, I have two bulls hanging here one scored 336 B&C (6x6, ~8 years old), the other 348 B&C (7x7 , cementum annuli inconclusive) with a broken brow tine. I will be happy to give the measurements you need if you will use the correct term.

Here let me help you:

Antlers are found on deer, elk, caribou and moose species

Antlers grow each spring, reach full size at mating season and fall off thereafter. Antlers may be branched. Only male deer (except caribou) have antlers.

Antlers are made completely of bone without a keratin covering

Horns are found on antelope, sheep, goat, and muskox species

Horns are permanent. Horns are not branched, but can take on bizarre shapes: spiralling twists, angular kinks. Horns may be found on most female antelopes too.

Antelope horns are made of a bone core with a keratin covering. Keratin is a horny material that makes up our hair and fingernails too.
Old 06-29-2004, 04:49 AM

Brutal if we are going to be politicaly correct here on horns and antlers i can live with that because its just a little fun.
You must rmember that the pronghorn antelope is the only horned animal to shed its horn each fall soon after the rut. Now i dont know if you would call the prong a branch but it is scored sepperate.

To the question at hand i measured a 360 bull and it was only 7.5 between. I think this can be a miss conception because of different antler shapes and genetics. I have seen really big bulls rub on over hanging branches on big trees. Typically the bigger the tree and the highter it is rubbed up indicates a bigger bull but not always.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: buck59

You must rmember that the pronghorn antelope is the only horned animal to shed its horn each fall soon after the rut. Now i dont know if you would call the prong a branch but it is scored sepperate.
I realize that, thanks. I figured that might be a little too advanced to mention right off the bat. Gotta start with the basics and move up from there.
Old 06-30-2004, 02:28 PM
Typical Buck

Buck59, I'm sure you're right on the variance from rack to rack, but I was just trying to get an idea. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-30-2004, 02:32 PM
Typical Buck

Brutal, I'm trying really hard to be civil and not get into a you-know-what measuring contest with you. I too used to be the kind of uptight snob (before that I was a smartass teenager) who would run around correcting people on the definition of horns and antlers. That was around the time I was getting my degree in wildlife management. Nowadays, I'm a little less anal about it. I think "antlers" sounds effete and wimpy. I think "horns" sound gnarly and tough, so I say, HORNS HORNS HORNS!
Old 06-30-2004, 10:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just think of old mossy horns, as mossy antlers. Kinda takes the grizzle out of him.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Dirt2

Brutal, I'm trying really hard to be civil and not get into a you-know-what measuring contest with you. I too used to be the kind of uptight snob (before that I was a smartass teenager) who would run around correcting people on the definition of horns and antlers. That was around the time I was getting my degree in wildlife management. Nowadays, I'm a little less anal about it. I think "antlers" sounds effete and wimpy. I think "horns" sound gnarly and tough, so I say, HORNS HORNS HORNS!
Hrmm well we are a little oversensitive aren't we? Fair enough I won't say anything else. I don't think using proper terms is wimpy though refusal to do so may display laziness.