Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

dislikes about nonresidents.

Old 07-23-2004, 10:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: dislikes about nonresidents.

When I go to another state to hunt with my friends, I try to be every bit as careful to do what is right and respect the landowners and other hunters. I haven't always gotten the same respect from locals. But usually do.

Last late fall hunting in WY was sort of amuzing the first full day out. There were literally several dozen vehicles full of mostly local hunters or at least WY plates in an area on a road about 2 miles long where Elk historically cross between mountains. It was rediculous with so many hunters or maybe call "shooters" waiting for the herd to come down. So the 2 of us from MN back tracked about 5 miles and headed about 7-8 miles N.E. Near the end of the dirt road on a hill we stopped to talked to about 5 locals who were looking at the ridges 1-2 miles away wondering outloud which way to go to find animals. When my hunting partner asked how they were doing, he got a cold shoulder and barely a grunt.

Then one of the guys came over and talked a little saying his parents live back in MN. He wondered why "you out-of-state guys come out here to shot 'our' Elk," with a smirck. (Never mind the 10 fold price we pay and the extra regs that only apply to non-residents. We're willing to deal with that.)

They kept wondering whether they should go this way or that. I have only been out hunting Elk in that area for a couple years, though my friend has for about 20, but I looked at a big sloping ridge on a treeless mountain at least 2 miles ahead. Something about that picture didn't look natural to me. Something was different from the surrounding rocks and snow. I put my scope up to look and saw what looked to me like dozens of necks and heads popping up and down slowly moving! Holy cow! There was a herd of Elk working down the ridge eating the little bit of growth where the snow was blown off.

I told my friend this and he mentioned it to the local boys. Boy were they all of a sudden interested in talking to us, talking on their radios (thought that wasn't allowed) and all of a sudden seemly more friendly.

I wanted to say, "you asked why we come out here to hunt.... we're out here to show you where the Elk are." But of course that would have been rude and so just kept quiet. We had our own private laugh anyway.

So, they went ahead toward the mountain and went around to the East. Bill and I gotten on his snow machine to get part way up the slope before I got off and walked a mile or so around the ridge. 30 minutes later as I slowly walked down the slope, I saw what looked like a ribbon on brown in the distance angling up over the curve of the land. There were 75-100 Elk coming up the mountain. No where for me to hide. Only a lot of rocks the size of dish pans all over. Wind and snow blowing about 40 mi/hr at my back... So I laid down on my belly until the lead cow got past, got into a sitting position with my Tikka 300 WM. Wind made it hard to keep it steady, but I eventually did.

Long story short, the herd angled up within 100-150 yds of me. I picked out a nice 3 1/2 year old, squeezed off a round and put it down. My friend had his Elk too within the hour.

We saw the other guys who'd had a change of heart about us, although temporary, several times more while we dressed and hauled our animals out. They didn't have any success the last we saw them. Of course, I know the table could be turned next time. Still it was a thrill the way it turned out. I think someone was smiling on us that day.
Old 07-24-2004, 11:37 PM

Default RE: dislikes about nonresidents.

When do you get a chance to talk to other hunters? I hate when hunters (most likely like you if your posting this) try to strike up a convo or bug me when I'm hunting. I rally don;t care if there Residents or Nons. U shouldn't care either.