Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Shot placement on Elk

Old 05-08-2005, 03:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Shot placement on Elk

well manboy, using that bowjackson site, did ya figure out how many foot pounds your crossbow is shooting. you were telling me it only penetrated to one lung at 50 yards on the 339 bull ya killed. would have been tragic if ya hadnt kept on him until he bled out!!!

brad
Old 05-08-2005, 04:37 PM

if u listen to what someone tells u , u would know i shot that elk with a bear compond! and the reason it only pentrated one lung= it was 1/4 away hard, hit the rib on the way in, one lung and liver. the bow was only 60 lbs. open on impact broadhead spitfire. and the shot was only 18 yards! and he layed down within sight of me!

what the hell story are telling huntnmuleys? crossbows= the new barnet quad-400 has a 345 fps rating and 122 ft. lbs. i don't see any reason a crossbow won't out perform a compound bow. i will have my 12 year old daughter using this crossbow for elk in september!
Old 06-08-2005, 12:18 AM

Elk Anatomy Overview: http://www.bowhunting.net/NAspecies/elk2.html

In looking at an elk's circulatory system and bone structure, there appears to be two good spots to shoot for:

1. Heart and Lung area slightly behind the front leg / near the top of the shoulder.

2. Spine / Base of Neck Area. Following the forward portion of the front leg 1/2 to 2/3'rds up to where the neck meets the spine. There are a lot of major support bones in this area that when broken, should anchor the animal very quickly.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:53 PM

If you draw a line exactly vertical above the front leg to approx. midline of the torso you can see that you are in the center of the vital area. On the sketal drawing you can see that there are no major bones obstructing your shot. this is where I aim in ideal situation. as we all know there are very few ideals in the elk mountains.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Regardless of the animal the vitals ie: H/L region, breadbasket, boiler room, etc is the place to put the bullet. It not only is highly effective, it also leaves a good blood trail, minimal resistance so usually get the best penetration, less meat damage and also the highest margin of error(which in real life hunting situation may just be why it is the best shot placement to take). I personally don't feel a severely angled or straight on shot is the best to take especially on elk, so I simply will not shoot in this instance. Yes this has meant I had to go home without my animal but I feel much better knowing I never caused any suffering by a lapse in judgement.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:02 PM
Typical Buck

Lungs and heart. If you don't know where to shoot an animal I suggest taking a hunter safety course.