Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Ya know you are getting old-

Old 06-10-2004, 06:21 AM

Default Ya know you are getting old-

When you pack a carbon steel, wood stocked '06 and only 2 good knives and a stone for "safety".

"Personally, I have never been able to figure out the exact value of a compss to a man adrift in a strange country. What is the value of knowing where North is if you don't know where you are?"

Take this all as it is offered, I have no intention of starting a rant.

Hasta
Old 06-10-2004, 06:51 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Ya know you are getting old-

A compass is at it's best use along with a map of the area you're in. The map shows at the top where magnetic north is and you can line that up with your compasses north position. Once that's done, if you know let's say where you're truck is parked on the map. (which you should) And where you are presently (aprox) all along leaving the map pointed north, you now can get a reading from your compass by sliding it down to your present location with compass still pointed north and read which degree you must travel to return to truck. --- Now before leaving truck and heading out, get a reading of the direction you're headed from your compass--north-west-south-east or in between somwhere, take a mental note and head out, at least when you're heading back you now have an aprox. direction to go if you're not sure!! Heck now I'm lost!! elknut1
Old 06-10-2004, 07:33 AM

Default Again-

"Take this all as it is offered"

Just My comment on the "cell phone, GPS, radio, chart plotter, .478 Wizzer Ultra Mag" ect.

Sorry, as I said I didn't intend to start a rant, as small sailboat open ocean cruisers as well as old geezer hunters we truly "know the value of a compass".

Hasta
Old 06-10-2004, 10:24 AM
Typical Buck

As usual, great tip there, elknut. I also rely on what I call an "escape azmuth", which is simply the general compass direction I need to follow in order to get back to civilization.
Old 06-10-2004, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

when you say stone your talking about a rock right? and if so why are you carrying a rock?
Old 06-10-2004, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

a compass can be a great help even if you don't know anything more than what state your in.