Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

CO elk results online!

Old 06-04-2004, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: CO elk results online!

Gig um Texasaggie. I am class of 80. Hope you have great luck. What unit/units will you be hunting? We are going to hunt elk with a muzzloader near Durango, probably 71 and 711.

Jorgy: Great luck on your timberline hunt. The dates are great too. Have they always been earlier than other high country buck hunts, or is that new? My brother and I went to the Sangre de Chriso wilderness last year, but it was a week later. Earlier should be better. Was a great experience! Have fun.

Thanks for the photos Elk
Old 06-04-2004, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jorgy: Great luck on your timberline hunt. The dates are great too. Have they always been earlier than other high country buck hunts, or is that new? My brother and I went to the Sangre de Chriso wilderness last year, but it was a week later. Earlier should be better. Was a great experience! Have fun.
Yeah, up in the northern part of the state the "early" wilderness deer hunts are a week earlier. I've never hunted deer that early in the year, but do alot of my deer hunting with muzzleloader which is 2 weeks after the "early" season. Should be interesting. I have a buddy of mine going with me that I backpack with, and we do some backpack trips up there every summer. He knows that he is going to be a pack mule, but I don't know if he really knows what he is in for if I find my monster mulie. He isn't a hunter. I think I'll just pack in some extra bbq sauce and eat him where he lays if I get lucky.
Old 06-04-2004, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: txhunter58

We are going to hunt elk with a muzzloader near Durango, probably 71 and 711.
txhunter58, have you ever used the train between Durango and Silveraton to go elk hunting down there? I had a client a few years back that took the train and they dropped him and a few friends off in the middle of nowhere and he hunted for the week then just waited by the tracks to get picked back up. Great way to get in the middle of nowhere and not have to bust a lung. He also got a wall hanger 6x6 out of the trip
Old 06-04-2004, 10:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

No, I have not tried the train to hunt (although I have taken the trip several times) but I have heard it is a pretty good way to get "out there". However, you still have to hike back in the Wilderness and pack him out on your back! After packing a buck over 5 miles out of the Sangres, I decided I want some horses to bring an elk out. We will be camping about 5 miles in on this trip and hunting from there to about 2 miles further out. Sorry, gotta go, gotta start gettin in shape!
Old 06-05-2004, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Man, I thought we hauled a lot of stuff to elk camp. I mean heck, we take a 16'x32' tent , fully carpeted, indoor shower, 5 burner cook stove, food storage cabinet, propane heat and lamps, etc. BUT EKM, you take the "cake". What do you guys take, U-haul trucks to get all that stuff to camp. A freezer and fridge!! Holy cow!!
Old 06-05-2004, 08:01 AM

Howler,

Yeah, we go for the "power elk camp" set up, although our spike camp (about 4 miles or so back in) can be carried in or out on one horse. We find generally if you are in it for the long pull and "come thick or thin" that the heavy duty camp to "recharge" in is a competitive advantage. (BTW, we saved $800 last year by butchering our own.)

Otherwise everything you saw arrives and leaves in these three vehicles...
[You're right, the word uhaul is in there and quite appropriate!]

I know from some of your descriptions that you enjoy taking some of the comforts of home along as well.

Good Luck and Good Hunting,
EKM
Old 06-05-2004, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can't remember their name at the moment, but there is a business out of Grand Junction that will set up a base camp for you wherever you make an X on a map. Have to be able to get a 4 wheel drive vehichle to the spot. I believe for around a $1000, they set up a 16X 30 tent,heated with propane, cots, stove, cooking pots/pans/utensils, and an electric generator. All you bring is a sleeping bag and your hunting gear. With 6 guys staying a week or longer that works out pretty cheap without having to haul your own gear.

Not knocking Elk's set up, it is PRIMO, just another option for some who might want to try it out before investing in their own gear. If I remember their name I will post it.

It is pretty obvious that Elk definately lives up to his name!
Old 06-05-2004, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is the link http://wildlife.state.co.us/database/
Old 06-06-2004, 08:46 AM
Fork Horn

txhunter58,

Where do you hunt in the Sangres? Thats home for me, been hunting near Saguache since 73 or so.
Old 06-06-2004, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had a friend show me his honey hole, so I can't reveal the exact location, but it was on the west side and in an area that you couldn't get a horse, so we had to backpack. Not a bad honey hole. I took a 29" 8x7. I hear that most other hunters didn't do as well for the early rifle season.

Quick Reply: CO elk results online!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.