Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

? for ELKampMaster

Old 05-21-2004, 01:37 AM

Default ? for ELKampMaster

What GPS do you use? I have read in your posts that you can download maps for yours. Is there a fee for downloading these maps? I'm not real GPS savvy, but I think I want to get one before my elk hunt this fall.

Thanks,
NBH
Old 05-21-2004, 06:51 AM

Default RE: ? for ELKampMaster

Plain Jane, Garmin GPS 12, $148 thru Cabelas, this is an old soldier.

Though it provides a navigation display which is "maplike" it does not upload or download maps. It does upload and download "way points" into a Topo! program in my PC by way of a data cable and to me the waypoints are the key item. This Topo! program also prints out great shaded custom maps that show your waypoints/waypoint names right on the map..

Usually when hunting, I have my GPS set to show no more than a .3 mile display which is like "looking at an elephant through a microscope" but if you are walking and not driving then this is about the right size IMO.

I may be talking out of school, but it is my impression that many of the new high dollar (300) GPS units are oriented to driving, US highway map system, places to eat, places to sleep, major major landmarks and historical points of interest. I'm betting if you follow their map out into the middle of no where and then crank up the "magnification" to .3 miles showing on the screen that that map is going to be kind of "empty".

Now if they have them that will upload an actuial topograph map and have the resolution to make it readable then that might be a hot ticket, but you are going to pay for it.

A feature that some new GPS units have tha t I would consider desirable is a magnetic compass orientation built into the display. The Garmin 12 does not have this, and while managable without it, it is one feature that would make GPS even more intuitive.

It is key, key, key to practice at home so you absolutely know your GPS unit inside and out before heading anywhere where you will actually be relying upon it.

For elk hunting, I would advice against any GPS with movable (break-off-able) antennae or units that are just too bulky. It needs to slide in and out of a pocket quick and easy and lay small in you handl. I personally do recommend Garmin. The Topo! software for one state = $99. Datacable is typically $30.

EKM
Old 05-21-2004, 11:30 PM

EKM,

Ok I see how it works now. I think Cabelas sells the Topo software. The type of GPS you have is what I am looking for, nothing real fancy or complex, but rugged and reliable.

Thanks for the Info,
NBH
Old 05-22-2004, 12:20 AM
Fork Horn

Boarhunter. I was at Cabela's (the Sydney, NE store) just this past Monday and picked up a Garmin E-Trex on sale for $99 dollars. It's a very basic one. I did not need anything more sophisticated. I use a topo map drawing in the UTM (military) grid coordinates (1000 meters on a side) and only need the GPS for pinpointing a position of waypoint in black timber when I've been cross-compartmenting and not paying much attention to the map.
The UTM (Universal Trans Mercator) system can be found by looking on the edge of the map for usually small blue ticks with numbers. The marginal data at the bottom of the map will tell you how they are marked on your particular map. Having spent my entire adult life in the Infantry, old habits die hard, or actually not at all!
Old 05-22-2004, 10:23 AM
Typical Buck

neweboarhunter:
If your looking for a real nice GPS try the Garmin,Etrex series.
http://www.garmin.com/products/etrexVenture/ The Venture is the low end of this series and sell for just under $150 on Ebay.
With this unit you can upload from a disc (Purchased Seperate) topo maps(Garmin Mapsource) or City Maps (Metro Guide).
I was surprised by the detail in the topo maps.
The great thing is you can come home after hunting and upload your route and any notes (Waypoints) to your computer and see where you were all day as well as keep a record on your computer as to where you've seen game,river crossings and other good stuff. You can also print out the info.
It really helped me a few weeks back when hiking in the wilderness. An avalanche had covered the trail for a good half mile and was able to find the trail with the gps topo program installed for my area.
I will warn you though once you do get one you are addicted. I can't travel or hunt without one.
If your on the road traveling and have the area your traveling through installed in your unit,Gas stations,Motels,Exits,places of interest are all stored. With a few clicks on the unit you have a Phone number, Location, ETA, and it will even show an arrow on the compass as to which way to go and how far away you are from your destination. It was a blast in Vegas.
The other thing with this series is that it is pretty simple to use. I purchased for $5 a DVD explaining how to use the thing and now it's a no brainer. I do suggest you go with at least the (Venture) as with this unit you will be able to use the maps on CD.
Hope this helps Good Luck
Old 05-22-2004, 11:41 AM

Montan Bob:

Thanks for the link! I was messing around with the Topo program and I already found were the elk camp will be set up!

Thanks,
NBH
Old 05-25-2004, 01:14 PM
Typical Buck

I went with something similiar to ElkKampMaster. I picked up a Garmin Etrex and data cable which I've been very pleased with.

I bought Terrain Navigator from www.maptech.com for the state of Montana. Actually, I got the software thru Amazon for about $87 for the state. Maptech also makes high end geographic and aeronautical packages as well. I had researched Delorme and others and thought I'd give maptech a try.

Before heading to Montana, I scoured the maps for the area that we were hunting. I created quite a few waypoints along the shores of a reservoir and also one at a specific intersection that we would be turning on. I then downloaded all of the waypoints onto the GPS. As we got close to that intersection that I had marked a waypoint for, I turned on the GPS and chose "Go to" on that waypoint. As we neared the intersection, it was getting really close and when we made the turn the GPS said we were 29 feet from waypoint. I was psyched as the software was going to be useful. We launched the boat and drove 28 miles down the lake and came right to one of the waypoints I'd created for a possible campsite.

I now use the GPS to get to my treestand in pitch black in northern Minnesota's thick forests which has been worth the price right there. I also mark my truck whenever I stop to hunt so I can find my way back or mark a waypoint where leave a trail into the woods. Before going hunting, bring your compass and never totally rely on the GPS as the unit could malfunction or lose battery power. Take a compass reading also. I'd also like to check into the new Delorme Topo 5.0 software and give that a try as it looks like a good product.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:48 PM

I found a Garmin Etrex Legend on ebay. It is new in the box with data cable, so now all I need is the software.

Thanks to all for the input.

NBH