Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

First pack in ELK hunt what to take

Old 05-21-2004, 05:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: First pack in ELK hunt what to take

Some great thoughts above. Hopefully, a couple more below or at least honorable mention.

1. Be brutal about everything you take having a function once on the ground. Sounds like you're taking too many pair of pants and underwear, etc. You can ride in in one set of clothes, slip into that set once back in camp after a day's hunting, and wear same on the way out post hunt. You may also have a duplication of effort with the various coats on your list.

2. I take (strictly for hunting) one pair of mil BDU pants and one pair wool pants. The wool pants are for very cold days wherein I will be sitting vice moving a lot. I hang up the BDUs to air out once back in camp. The fleece pants as an alternative to wool could save some weight.

3. Look to optimize all clothing: I've switched from wool undergarments to a down orange vest and a "Chinese" underwear top both of which weigh nothing. These go in my rucksack and are pulled out once I get to where I plan to sit/glass, etc. They double as emergency gear.

4. My standard orange vest is a mesh one, again with virtually no weight.

5. Layered clothing is always good. I wear polypro or some form of underwear top that wicks moisture away from the skin. I have a pair of same material long johns that I wear if the temp is really low. You really need this if you will be moving on foot any distance regardless of the temperature.

6. I do afford myself the luxury of clean socks and sock liners each day. Don't have to do that with drawers and T-shirts. Sock liners do wonders to prevent blisters. I include some mole skin in my kit in case a blister or hot spot crops up.

7. I carry parachute cord in my ruck to use for tying off game bags especially if we have to leave meat up in a tree or forgot to bring the panniers with the horse.

8. I carry an extra mini mag light in my ruck with spare bulbs and batteries. The idea of using LED headlamps is a good one. You don't need the bigger heavier flashlights.

9. I also carry a pair of yellow plastic gloves (for preventing women from getting dishpan hands) to use when butchering the elk especially if it's a cold day. They provide a bit of insulation.

10. I "hump" with a pair of light weight (actually aviator nomex) gloves but have a set of glomets in my cargo pocket. They are nice to slip into on a cold day once in position.

11. Rather than carry a heavy coat, I use a gortex parka shell if it's real cold and I expect to be sitting in a hallow where the sun won't hit me till mid morning or if it's sleeting or snowing. I use the down Chinese underwear top as insulation underneath it. It adds little weight to the rucksack on the walk or horseback ride to your overwatch position.

12. I carry a light weight clear plastic rain jacket if the weather dictates.

13. My orange vest for walking is a mesh type - again virtually no weight.

14. for convenience I now use a camel back hydration bladder that fits into my ruck. The tube attaches to my shoulder strap and I merely have to turn my head to one side and grab the drinking tube with my mouth. It holds about 64 ounces of water. Adds a bit of weight to the ruck.

15. In addition to handiwipes, which are great, I carry a small bottle of Purell or similar hand cleaner.

16. I use a dickie to double as a scarf, something to keep the neck and back of head warm, etc. It has multi functions.

17. I didn't see a bone saw on your equipment list. I have a Buck model that again, weighs virtually nothing but has been an essential piece of gear.

I've probably missed some key stuff but don't have my packing list in front of me at the moment.

Best of luck.
Old 05-21-2004, 06:20 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the advice guys. Gave me some good ideas on what I need to save up for 2005 elk hunt. thanks again Bigbull
Old 05-21-2004, 11:23 PM

Thanks for all the advice and help. I have my duffels just about at the weight limit now.

But now I have some more questions. I generally have always used the regular old cotton insulated underwear. It seems that everyone is in general agreement about useing one that wicks away sweat. Whats a good brand of this type of longjohns?

oldrgr,

I wasn't planning on taking the .22 though it usually goes on most trips.
Also I am on a guided hunt, so the guide should have a bone saw? My outfitter said that my guide would quarter the elk. But I do want to get right in there and help. I thought about taking pac boots, but the outfitter does not recommed them for riding horses ( not fitting in stirrups).

Again thanks everyone for all the advice,
NBH
Old 05-21-2004, 11:59 PM
Fork Horn

If your outfitter says his guide will quarter/bone out the animal, you won't need a bone saw.
If you have access to a Cabela's catelog, they have all kinds of options on long underwear that wicks away moisture. If not go to their website, www.cabelas.com

If there is a big sporting goods store in your town they probably will have them also. It's not so much the brand as the capability, i.e. the technology that goes into the product.

I have been refining my packing list over the last 10 years. It's a lot different now than my first elk camp experience.
Have a great hunt.
Old 05-22-2004, 12:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Cotton long johns suck really bad. Ever notice how they never keep you warm on a cold day? Winchester and Remington make the polypropoline (sp) underwear and you can get them at Walmart for a decent price. Just don't dry them in a dryer on high heat cause they could melt. Air dry them. I know that it may be a bit colder in Montana than here in Colorado but I rarely wear long johns in September even though I do bring them. It's a bit chilly in the morning but by the time the sun has been up for an hour I have to shed some clothes any way and usually end up in just a long sleve camo T-shirt and a pair of camo jeans.

Your guide should have all the tools needed to quarter and / or debone an elk. But, I would bring a bone saw any way. Don't trust any one else to remember to have it when it's needed. Gerber makes a very light weight one that the blades slides inside the handle. Again, Walmart has them for ten bucks. I use this one and it works great.

Pack boots suck unless you are going to be tromping around in foot deep snow every day which is very doubtful. Leave them at home. Your outfitter is right about them not working with horses well. It is very difficult to even get your foot in the stirrups not to mention getting them out in a hurry.

I know that you have all of your warm clothes listed and ready but do not forget to bring some warm weather clothes as well. It can get very hot in September. Also remember to leave one set of clothes out and a jacket for you to wear while riding in and don't count that as packed weight.
Old 05-23-2004, 08:24 AM
Typical Buck

Of all the things a person should have a elk camp is for a long period of time hunting. I would take enough socks to change every day along with a secound pair of boots. Wearing socks over and over lose their value of warmth. Also two pair of wool gloves is a must for me incase one pair gets totally soaked. These I carry with me both pair. You can't safe your life by starting a fire if your fingers won't work. Wool is sometimes hard to wear but will keep you alive in some bad conditions even wet. The next best thing if fleece for warmth. Carry a cheap pocket poncho. These things fold up small and buy one bigger than you need. Instant one man tent when the call comes for it. Cowboy hats are very warm and serve two purposes one from the wet and the other is warmth. Or an aussie style hat. It really sucks to have rain or wet snow running down your neck if you forgot your poncho. If you can stay warm and dry you will have a fun hunt. Outside of safety item, first aid kit, space blankets, medicine, and fire starter. All other things are just gadgets. Staying warm and dry is where it's at in having fun.

Hope you have the time of your life. Good luck