Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk hunting without the draw?

Old 05-17-2004, 11:18 AM

Default Elk hunting without the draw?

I know it is late, but I am wondering if there is a possibility of getting in on a guided rifle elk hunt for either Az, Nm, or Co without being in the drawing. Bull or cow is ok. If so, please give me some pointers. I am lost. I usually go over the counter bow in Co, but we are up for a change this year.
Old 05-17-2004, 04:22 PM

Default RE: Elk hunting without the draw?

Won't happen in Arizona but you can buy a landowner tag in New Mexico and they have great bulls there. I think Game & Fish there has a list of landowner tags. Good luck.
Old 05-17-2004, 05:49 PM
Fork Horn

SB, there are "unlimited" OTC antlered tags available in CO, primarily for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th seasons, in various units. Additionally, there are thousands of leftover antlerless tags as well, for 1st through 4th seasons, in various units. I believe the leftovers are available in early August. Check the Colorado Division of Wildlife webpage for more information. They can direct you to guides/outfitters (if necessary) as well.

Good luck.
CE
Old 05-17-2004, 10:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you are ok with a cow tag I certainly wouldn't spend the money on an outfitter. They are a dime a dozen in many GMU's here in Colorado. Not once have I been hunting and not at least seen a few cows. I didn't always have a cow tag to use though.

The CDOW will be able to point you in the right direction. Ask which units are undersubscribed for cow tags and the success rate for those units. The undersubscribed untis will probably be your best chance at a cow.
Old 05-19-2004, 03:08 PM

Shoot me an e-mail [email protected] I may have some ideas for you!