Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Got my bear pics finally

Old 05-16-2004, 10:53 AM

Default Got my bear pics finally

Hey folks, filled my bear tag the other night. I had seen this blackie hanging around a bluff 1/2 mile northeast of my farm last November in deer season. I was out trapping beavers this spring and i spotted him in the same area the one evening. He was holding up in a bluff that borders our home quarter which we always seed to Oats. For those of you that do not know Bears will eat, and roll all over the oats crop. He wasn't the biggest bear i have seen but I knew i had to deal with him otherwise he would do alot of damage over the summer. I started baiting him with beavers, KFC cooking oil and oats. I baited him for 2 weeks before i got an evening free to get out there and hunt him. He was hitting the bait every day so i knew all i had to do was just put in the time and he would be there. I got out there and set up on the ground 150 yards away from the bait on the ground with my camo burlap concealing me against a stand of poplars. Within the first 30 minutes he came strolling out but only to check a tree where i usually hung a beaver 15 ft up in the tree. I never botherd to hang a beaver up there that day so he quickly mosied back into the bluff. He was always moving behind a clump of willows so i just let him walk. About an hour later he showed up again and started out of the bluff and begin walking towards the bait. He stood there broadside for me so I fired my 7mm and double lung'd him. He scampered about 30 yards then down. He had a a real nice coat on him, i caped him out and sold the hide to a local fur buyer here. I estimated him at a little over 300lbs which isn't that big but like i say he needed to go. I was pretty happy with him though because he was my first bear. I boiled off the skull and fleshed it out but i haven't measured it up yet. I have been soaking it in peroxide for about a week now, seems to be whitening up real nice. Should make a nice conversation piece on the coffee table in the living room but my mother doesn't seem to be co-operating. I have picks of him but i do not have a scanner, as soon as i break down and buy one i will surley post him up here.

I cut open my matress and bought that scanner finally here is a pic of that bear.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ha/sp15001.jpg
Old 05-16-2004, 11:42 AM

Default RE: Got my bear

Very nice.

Thanks for the story including the set up and the "how to".

If you know someone with a scanner, then you can scan them "off location" and then email them to yourself as an attachment and then load them onto your hard drive and then post to your hearts content.

Spring bear, that would make for a nice "way point" between fall seasons.

Good Luck and Good Hunting,
EKM
Old 05-16-2004, 04:41 PM

Congrats on your first bear. I'm hoping to make it up to Saskatchewan myself later this year for black bear. I hear that you have some very large ones up there
Old 05-16-2004, 11:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations!!
Old 05-17-2004, 10:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats... I hope to see a pic! ... and 300lb is a nice bruin!
Old 05-17-2004, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hia,

Congrats buddy! I hope you got some pics to send me 300 is a good spring bear for this country bud, but I guess you guys up there have those "TANKS" that weigh over 500 ! Great job, post some pics if you have em!

shed
Old 09-21-2004, 11:33 AM

Default RE: Got my bear pics finally

Here are the pics finally........

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ha/sp15001.jpg
Old 09-21-2004, 11:38 PM

nice bear
Old 09-22-2004, 09:05 PM

Thanks for sharing the story and photos. That is certainly a nice bear!
Old 09-23-2004, 12:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations!!

Quick Reply: Got my bear pics finally

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.