Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Lucky Charm - Bear???

Old 05-13-2004, 02:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default Lucky Charm - Bear???

Get this, about 7:30 last night, my 20 month old kid gets ornery and to calm him down, I decide to take him for a drive and my wife decides to come along. (maybe we'll even see a bear I head to this spot, close to home, that I stalked a nice cinnamon with my bow several times last year. I had decided to take him, if I saw him again. I had yet to see him this year, but every time I bring my son with me, I see lots of animals... you never know.

I park the truck, they stay, and I hike about 1 km down into the lush draw (Salad Bar). I nearly fall over, when I peer over the edge and there HE is! [:-] I burn back to the truck, grab the '06 loaded w/ 180 grain partitions and head back! In about 5 minutes with the familiar territory, I closed the gap and was 50 meters above him...

I look him over, and humm and haww. Damn, I wasn't planning on shooting anything with my family out. After watching him for about 5 minutes...he turns slightly quartering to me......I squeeeeeeze....BANG - he spins to bite at the pain and then hauls a$$ (with one flat tire) for the forest edge. I get to my knees, rechamber another round and take the texas heart just as he rounds a cedar into the darkness... don't know about the 2nd shot... I listened and got some crashing and growling, but it sounded like he was still going. No blood at the site.

I felt good about the shot, but was surprised that he didn't go down right away. I decided to take the LUCKY CHARMS home and figure it out. I decided to leave him for the night and go back early, as is my habit with bowhunting... now, I was starting to have my doubts about the shot... I was in for a long night. []
Old 05-13-2004, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Lucky Charm - Bear???

I don't leave bears anymore like that. I always go after within an hour or so, even with bow. I just pack a shotgun and a headlamp and find them.
Old 05-13-2004, 05:54 PM
Fork Horn

Well, the lucky charms came through!! After a replaying the shot over and over, I was up at first light. It had rained in the night and I was prepared for a big grid search. Last year it took me 1.5 tense hours, creeping through the cedars to find the bear I arrowed 150 yards away. Locked and loaded I headed in, but when I got to the cedar that he rounded when I took the Texas heart shot, I spied him about 30 yards over piled up against a cedar in an old wash.

After the rituals, I got to work and was home about 6 hours later with him skinned and the meat boned out. He wasn't quite as long as I figured, squaring just 6 ft, but was definitely well fed. I obviously didn' t weigh him, but he was 68" long (nose to tail on the animal) and had a girth that would make a SUMO proud of 50". To estimate a bear's weight, plug those into this chart: http://www.customosteo.com/news_bear_weight.html

I had a blast with this guy - stalking him 5-6 times last year and looking for him at least twice as many. Hopefully he maximized his time with the ladies last year! [8D] He is a beauty - with a cinnamon red back and chocolate legs and will be admired in the spot I have reserved for him - in front of the fireplace in the new house. Here's a few pics (excuse the wads of Kleenex up my nose, but I'll don't want to smell gutpile, when I eat the sausages):

Old 05-13-2004, 08:07 PM

thats a good bear it has a nice coat.

good shooting
Old 05-13-2004, 09:59 PM
Spike

Mt^Boy
Way to go, Nice looking bear.I'am going out this weekend and see if i can fine a nice black bear,last year i shot a black bear that squared 7 foot.
the skull scored 20 3/16 my biggest black bear yet,I was out last weekend and seen one grizzly and two small black bears.
Old 05-14-2004, 05:37 PM
Fork Horn

Trapper - right on! Sounds like a great bear. Got any pics? I just sent you an email.
Old 05-16-2004, 08:47 PM
Fork Horn

Nice bear, I hope to see one like that this coming year, nice job!