Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

help needed with translation

Old 05-11-2004, 02:53 AM
Spike

Default help needed with translation

Hello!
I´m working as a gamemanager for the swedish hunters organisation.
I have a question for whoever thinks have the answer, we can seem to agree over here!!

The moose usually grows big antlers wich I think is called palmated (in Sweden the are called Palmata or "skovel"), but sometimes the mooseantlers never get a plmation but looks more like wapitiantlers even after they grown more than two tines at each side.

My question is, is the word palmated correct?
What do you call those antler that doesn´t get a palmation?
Our suggestions over here are
1. forked
2. cervine
is either of those right or do you have any other names for those??

In Sweden there are two type of moose, even though they are counted as one. One type get palmation in there second or third year and can grown real large. The other type never get a palmation, even though they get big both in body and antlersize.

Hope to get an answer and if you have any questions about swedish hunting, I´ll be glad to help out!
Old 05-11-2004, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: help needed with translation

We call it palmation also.

For the other type we just call it "spike" if they have no palm and no tines, or "non-palmated". And if they have tines and no palmation we would call them a "two-point" if they have two, "3 point" if they have three etc.

Is there many jobs in wildlife management over there? If I can find a job as a biologist I would like to move over there. Any suggestions on where I should look? I have been looking in Finland also.