Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Soul of a hunter.

Old 04-30-2004, 03:15 PM
Typical Buck

Default Soul of a hunter.

This is why I exist.

Year to year all I do is wait for the next season of leaves to turn. All the time spent inbetween season to season spent in a haze of waiting and wanting. Reading magazine and articles of hunters past years exploits and success. Spring is here and sheds are dropping. Treasures found on the ground with hope of seeing the one who dropped the massive antler in future months ahead. While all this time I wait I can't help but thank God for another year of opportunity in my life.

When the day comes and all is packed in with smiles on faces of people living their dreams that day that instant. The night comes and sleep is still restless after all these years. I know I'll be up in a few hours saddling horses in the dark and drinking camp coffee. Rifles in scabbards, men up on horseback heading up trails in the dark, horses only knowing the trails the man cannot see in the dark. We top the ridge where we will tie up the horses and wait out the dark like theives in the dark making no sound until the canyon walls start to take shape. The bitter chill of the breeze off the crest of the mountains makes the air taste so clean and virgin. Trees and brush start to take shape and always make you take a second look through the binos making sure they are not animals. When animals take shape and the bugles sound out through the canyons, chills shoot up the spine. Locating the animals we plan out the best stalk avalible. Here we are putting our wisdom and stealth against a animal that lives by both. Time stops the world is left behind its becomes a fantasy relived time and time again. This has become your world, your moment in time to do with it what you can. All the wondering and questioning if this that one time when reality and fantasy become one, is standing infront of you bugling letting the whole world know he's the king of his realm. In awe of the creature you take just a second to relive all those dreams in the off season. Its just you and him on that chessboard they call hunting. You have the upper hand and its your move.

My dreams and desires all boil down to a period of time in the fall. My reason for living a good life lays up in those mountains. I'd give anything for a one way ticket to the days of the mountain man. Where man lived by gun and knife alone. This is what heaven is to me. I hope God gives us all many more seasons to share our experiences and dreams for the upcoming falls ahead.
Old 04-30-2004, 03:28 PM

Default RE: Soul of a hunter.

You said it! I would give up my 300RUM and head to the hills to live that way. I was just born in the wrong time!!
Old 04-30-2004, 04:16 PM

Cherokee,
Wow, that was pretty spritual and heart felt. I appreciate that. It IS a darn special time and place and one of the things that provides me with a major passion in life.

If it is THAT precious to you, then you might consider going to New Zealand and doing your "guide thing" during the spring/summer and then return here for fall/winter and get in twice as many "soul times" in one lifetime, since you only get one go around before you head for the "great divide".

Next, for what it is worth, a quote from my grandfather, born in the 1890, "The only good thing about the "good old days" is that they will NEVER come back!

That may or may not strike a cord; however, in 1810 you may have never survived childhood (measles, mumps, diptheria, whooping cough, small pox, polio, etc, etc, etc) and into adulthood to ever even begin the trek west. Just a thought for what IS good about today's world for you and your kids.

Good Luck and Good Hunting,
EKM
Old 04-30-2004, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

That just about says it all!
Old 04-30-2004, 06:22 PM
Typical Buck

Iam not good with words like cherokee_ & ELKamp but I know the draw you get when late summer comes amd the first hint of cool fall air comes on a north breeze. I work outside and your eyes wonder upward at the geese starting to group up its hard to keep your mind on work. Its like a calling from deep within your soul to go hunt be out there and absorbe it and its adicting and you cant get enough. I personaly think it is in are blueprint from the far past when man had to hunt to live. So really we are all just living.

I have one question what do people that dont hunt do ?
Old 04-30-2004, 10:25 PM

PERFECT!
Old 05-01-2004, 11:43 AM
Typical Buck

Amen, brother, amen.