Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Wha would you do? Elk scenario.

Old 05-01-2004, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Wha would you do? Elk scenario.

You know of all the replies only one person took into account the angle of the decline. I'm not saying I'm some great white hunter here, but when shooting at a decline you can throw the range out the window. If your not taking it into account the shot will almost always go high. For instance, say a 7mm mag 150 gr bullet with a mv of 3110 sighted in for a 200 yd zero, at a horizontal plane you would have 19.9" of drop at 400 yds. now say your at a 30' decline the same load would drop 17.2", at 45' decline 14.1". Then you factor in the wind direction/velocity, while these are just estimates you can see where it's going. The way I understand it you disregard the vertical distance which is what the rangefinder gives you and try to estimate the horizontal distance and that is what you use for the shot. There are mathematical formulas for the calculation but I'm not even going to get into them because I'm not sure I understand them myself.
Old 05-01-2004, 12:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

The way I understand it you disregard the vertical distance which is what the rangefinder gives you and try to estimate the horizontal distance and that is what you use for the shot
The rangefinder gives you the straight line distance to the target which is determined by both the vertical and horizontal distance.The horizontal distance is the only one that matters as this is the distance over which gravity acts on the bullet.It is really simple geometry based on a right triangle.
Old 05-02-2004, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok, so does the rangefinder compensate for the amount of up or down angle that it is being held at when shooting the range? Haven't really felt the need to buy one yet seeing as how the majority of my hunting is at woods ranges.
Old 05-03-2004, 09:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ok, so does the rangefinder compensate for the amount of up or down angle that it is being held at when shooting the range
No it only measures distances, just like stretching a measuring tape between two objects.It doesn't measure angles so you still have to estimate them if they appear to be a factor.I hunt open fields and mountains where ranges can be long and hard to judge so for my hunting a rangefinder is a useful tool.
Old 05-04-2004, 11:50 AM

I'd get down there closer to 250yds. too far and too much wind. No shot, then I'd get him that night.
Old 05-07-2004, 02:18 PM
Fork Horn

I would take the shot with my 300 wsm.If I missed I would spend the next four days scouting and hunting.
Old 05-07-2004, 06:16 PM
Typical Buck

Taking a risky shot you may end up chasing a wounded animal for all that time and end up missing any more hunting
Old 05-08-2004, 03:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have passed on shots like that before and I would again. For me its get within 300 yards or wait for another chance. Thats the first day or the last day.
Old 05-10-2004, 10:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Noway, your not standing by the 10 mile overpass are you?
Old 05-16-2004, 02:39 AM

I'd pass on it. 450 yards is about the outer limits for me varmint hunting. I would not take a hail mary shot like that.

Quick Reply: Wha would you do? Elk scenario.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.