Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Wha would you do? Elk scenario.

Old 04-29-2004, 04:40 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Wha would you do? Elk scenario.

I would not take the shot. My win 270 feather light could do it but not me behind the
cross hairs. But Iam young in good shape and could cover at least 150 yds real fast and if I could not get closer I would feel a lot more confident at 300 then 450.
Old 04-29-2004, 06:58 PM
Typical Buck

HMMM it's the first day of the hunt. I check my sticker taped to 300 RUM.
180 GR. Nosler drops 12.1 at 400 and 26.9 at 500 yards. With wind drift at 10 MPH 9.7 at 400 and 15.6 at 500 yards.
I decide to pass.
Why.......Between 400 and 500 yards my bullet is dropping another 15" and it's a downhill shot to boot. Seeing how the wind is blowing 10 MPH where I am at it could be blowing harder down the canyon.
You don't say what time of day,But I would run like hell down the canyon undetected another 150 Yards or so where bullet drop would not be a problem and the wind drift would be marginal.
If this option wasn't available I would check the time and be in shooting distance the next day at this location or try and figure out where he was coming from for the next day's ambush or again depending on the time see where he is going.
Old 04-29-2004, 07:22 PM

I would not know the answer until I got to that good rest, cranked up the scope, settled in, and drew down on him, at that point I would decide based on how the whole thing felt at the time.

Good Luck and Good Hunting,
EKM
Old 04-29-2004, 08:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would close the distance all things being considered, either by stalking or calling. If shooting was my only option I would let the situation and my feelings dictate the action I take, most likely choosing to pass given the first day and other factors involved. Wounding an elk isn't my goal, so if I am not 100% sure I can make the shot cleanily I will pass..my feelings is a hope n' prayer shot means you've already decided your going to fail, so somewhat defeated to begin with and usually this will not result in a very good outcome!
Old 04-29-2004, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

On the first day of a five day hunt (or the fifth day for that matter) I would not take the shot.
1) Canyons can have some wicked winds. There can be calm spots, then gusts in that 450 yds that make it nearly impossible to determine wind drift.
2)The wind drift at that distance from a .30-06 (what I would be shooting) would be very hard to judge accurately also with the wind.
3)You said the bull would be there for a few minutes. I can easily close the distance by 150 yds to get a closer shot, especially if there is plenty of cover and the ground is not too dry
Old 04-30-2004, 04:54 PM

Close the distance then take the shot. I don't like shooting long distance to many things can go wrong. I would rather not take the shot & miss out on taking a elk than wounding one................ making a clean kill is one of my major pet peeves!
Old 04-30-2004, 05:19 PM
Fork Horn

Three years ago I bought a .300 RUM for just such contingencies. I've sighted it in using the point blank method so it's dead on at 330 yards, five inches low at about 370-380.

A "full value wind" (perpendicular to gun target line) will pull the bullet quite a bit. Guess it would come down to how steady a postion I had from my current position. I have a 4.5 - 14X scope, so it should provide adequate magnification at 450 yards.

I would go prone, establish a steady position and see if I could hold the cross hairs on the target without wobbling. If not, no shot. If I could I'd have to factor in windage drift and some compensation for bullet drop, more so for windage given the point blank sight-in.
Regards.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:20 PM

The major thing that most people forget and some have mentioned already is the wind drift tables are no good in most hunting situations. Wind does funny things to projectiles on the flat lands where it does not have to move and adjust for bowls and peaks just imagine what it will or won't do at that range. i would try to close the distance down till i could see him blink and flare his nostrils then ya don't have to worry about the ballistic tables as much.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

In all honesty I would not even pretend to be able to make a decision such as this without actually being in this situation.It would depend on the lay of the land to determine if a stalk was feasible,the availability of a solid rest and the wind direction.
Old 05-01-2004, 08:12 AM
Fork Horn

I pass on the shot. A scenario very similar to this one happened to me a couple of times last rifle bull season. Two very good bulls, two different times, both cross canyon shots. Ranged at 430 and 456 yrds. Passed on both without regret. Too many variables come into play for ME to take a shot at that range Tried to close in but things didn't happen

Bill

Quick Reply: Wha would you do? Elk scenario.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.