Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Who's ready for elk season?

Old 04-28-2004, 02:18 PM

Default RE: Who's ready for elk season?

Yep...same here ..was ready the next day after the last day in Sept bow ...
Old 04-28-2004, 03:31 PM

Nope.

Now, probably like the rest of you I think about elk hunting every day, but I got plenty to do in order to get ready for next year's elk camp/hunt in order to have it "come off" the way I want it to go. Got some canvas in being altered. Propane furnace needs tweeked. Looking at a 3rd set of meat panniers & lashing rope. Got to round up some steel tubing, some more 2" rope and some more 12" nails. I've also got to get a 338 glass bedded and re-scoped (leupold) and a 416 to get tweaked just the way I want it! Got plenty to do and it is all fun! [:'(][:'(]

I AM looking forward to some summer "scouting" as I have got two "new" areas I want to go stomp around in (probably two trips). If they are decent (I'm sure they will be), then I'll be recording new waypoints and generating new maps for my team. I'm sure I will come up with some new "stands" (ambush sites) which are needed as it looks like I'll have quite a few more people in 2004 than 2003. I also have some spike camp equipment I want to walk "back in" and cache for fall. I AM very much looking forward to it all, but all things in due time.

Something different this year will be a niece (14) and her dad will be hunting with us on their first elk hunt --- lots of deer under their belt but no elk (NE California). First time for us having someone that young and a girl too! Having her get an elk will be a high priority in my planning, I'd love to get a picture of her with either a cow or a bull. She is a country kid, tough and scrappy, and has a strong spirit and knows what it means to "tough things out"! She and her dad are going to do a "tag team" and I expect she'll do fine.
----------------------------

On a separate but related note, the African season is just kicking off! That would get my juices going and what a great "off season" filler it would be! Or perhaps elk season would become the "off season filler". That too in due time!

Good Luck and Good Hunting,

EKM
Old 04-29-2004, 04:22 PM
Typical Buck

127 days 'til bow season in MT.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am in the hurry up and wait mode already this year[]. 4 months to go till we head out with the bows and a week in between till rifle season, haven't counted the days yet so I guess I ain't 100% ready! Have been practicing the calls a lot lately while watching hockey though
Old 04-30-2004, 10:17 PM
Fork Horn

Ready,

Man, I have been ready since 15 November. Each year the urge is the same....sometimes it happens in early spring or late summer. Sometimes in early fall. Cow tag, bull tag or both, I do not care. This will be my 31st year of elk hunting. Same area, nearly the same camping spot. Sometimes I harvest, sometimes I don't....but, they are all successful. During that time I have missed four seasons....all because of commitments to the Navy. No more. I will retire in 2 years and will never have to miss another. The best thing about the past two years is that my wife has joined me.
Old 05-01-2004, 08:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am ready for everything already. I have spent the last four or five nights reloading shells. I have two boxes each loaded for six different rifles. I have two to go yet but I have to start fishing soon so the other two will have to wait. I don't really need to use the other two for hunts planned for this year. I still have to load 45-70 and 44 Mag loads. Good luck to all.
Old 05-16-2004, 12:07 AM

My Montana elk tag came today . I am hunting the early season. This is my first elk hunt and I am totally excited. Still have some stuff to get and lots of practice shots to take.
Old 05-16-2004, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

My Montana elk tag came today . I am hunting the early season. This is my first elk hunt and I am totally excited. Still have some stuff to get and lots of practice shots to take
Will you be useing a outfitter? Who is your outfitter? I might know your outfitter if you post his name? Will you be huntin in the Bob Marshall or Absaroka Beartooth Wilderness?
Good luck.
Old 05-16-2004, 11:52 PM

Wolf killer,

I'm booked with Black Otter Guide Servives out of Pray. The owners are Duane and Ruth Neal and Gary and ShellyFrancis. Will be hunting in the Absaroka Beartooth wilderness 2nd week of early season. It is area 316 I think. Going for elk/mule deer combo. Thanks for the luck am sure I will need it.

NBH
Old 05-17-2004, 05:28 PM

Ahh not me, But i'm working on.. Shooting and excersising for my first Bow hunt in Montana...

Quick Reply: Who's ready for elk season?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.