Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Nonresident tag fees outlandish!

Old 04-26-2004, 12:11 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Nonresident tag fees outlandish!

Non residents pay alot more than you think and I don't see a problem with them coming here to hunt. Motels, resteraunts,bars,gas stations and the like all profit.
Some here think non resedents encroach on the hunting area's,However I have found MOST do not go back into the woods deep enough to effect me and my hunting. I met a few from WA who were happy just to camp near the road and drink beer,be away from home.
All I ask is when your done hunting have a safe trip back HOME.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:14 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with you cherokee_outfitters. Iam just a simple construction worker. Most my friends dont understand why I drive a old junk truck I can afford a new one but right there is the reason I get to go elk hunting every year in Co. and to Arkansa duck hunting and hunt deer in Mo. The only good thing about price hikes it did thin the crowd where I bow hunt Elk in CO. And also I have to say the people in WY. are good people every time Ive been there hunting Ive been treated like Ive lived there all my life . Hats off to all you folks. Come to IL. Iwill show you the same thing.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:16 PM
Typical Buck

Yes Wolf Killer I did. I hunted muleys for the first time last year in MT and knocked down a buck on the last hour of the last day. I met some great people in Eastern MT and am looking forward to going back. I'm going solo this year as my brother couldn't swing it this year. I'm going to look into where I went last year and also found out about a distant ex relation that married a rich girl and bought a ton of land out by Missoula.

MT Bob, I know what you mean as I see alot of those road hunters in MN too. When I go to Colorado I rent a pack horse and walk in across a canyon and over a mountain to get to the good stuff. It takes a whole day of walking to get in but it definitely gets you away from most hunters. I'm really looking forward to getting back to Montana again as it's a beautiful state. I've spent a little time out in Western MT on one trip and my Uncle has a cabin just west of Hamilton. I went thru Darby and visited Sula as my grandparents spent many summers in the area fishing and camping. Hiked to the top of Trappers peak one day and man what a view into Idaho. Well, back to the packing. Me and the girlfriend are heading to the Black Hills after work tommorrow to chase some Merriams around.
Old 04-28-2004, 03:00 PM

This has been a sore spot with me for the past few years. 15 to 20xs the price of a regular license is too much. I understand the tax issue, but we also pay federal taxes that support highways, federal land, and not to mention federally subsidized programs in those states.

We are tourists as much as hunters. We eat in restaurants, stay in hotels, buy gas-food-supplies-souvenirs-etc. We use outfitters, pay trespass fees, pay for processing, and sometimes taxidermy. That's a huge impact to the local economy.

If we are priced out of the market, the economy will suffer. There are more people than not who are simply being excluded because of the tag prices, no to mention the ability to afford to bring a youngster. And if it continues, the sheer numbers of hunters will be depleted everywhere. Then mark my words, hunting WILL be like elitest like Europe, if it's not outlawed all together.

Personally, I won't get to elk hunt this year because my somebody in another country now has my job. My hunting enjoyment will come from this site as you guys tell your stories. So have some good ones...I'll be looking for them!!!

h/g
Old 05-01-2004, 02:40 PM
Typical Buck

How many of you have said, " WE'RE ALL, HUNTERS AND FISHERS, ENTITLED TO THE SAME RIGHTS, FAIR AND EQUAL."

"Every one of you that posted a reply to justhuntitalls', has a valid point, the pros' and cons'. I got to go to Colorado this past year mule deer hunting and had planned on going back this year Elk hunting. Because of an illness in my family I can't go back this year and if this illness persist, I don't know if I'll ever get to go back. While out there I met some extremely nice and helpful folks, and I thank them for all they did.

However, I do think the prices are outrageous, and I know I can't do anything about it.

Now let me give you something to think about! I spent over 20 years in the military. When I was living in other states, all I normally had to do was be stationed there and I could buy a resident license, some states made you wait 30 days. Now that I have retired from the military, and am a resident in another state, I have to pay the high prices like every other nonresident. I don't agree with this at all, I should, and every citizen of the U.S. should have the same right to at least hunt on Federal land, regardless of the state its' in or he/she lives in, period. If the land is state owned and dosen't get any funds from the Federal Government, then I can see them charging what they want.

It's a dead horse folks, and no matter how hard we beat it, it ain't gonna make a move.

Somebody in this forum said, that it cost $200.00 for him to go east and hunt whitetails. That may be so in some states, but not so here. I may be off a little, but not much. Here it cost around $118.00 for a nonresident to get a big game license, this includes, whitetail, wild hogs, and turkey, is that a deal, or is that a deal. I would have to look at our regs. to be sure, but this may also include black bear hunting. Any other states match that?

Every thing you read or hear, in every forum, hunting/fishing show, magazine, etc. preaches that we as hunters and fishers should pull together for the benefit of our sport. Now tell me, "HOW MANY TIMES HAVE ANY OF YOU SAID THAT ALL OF US ARE ENTITLED TO THE SAME OPPORTUNITY'?

Dog1
Old 05-01-2004, 02:46 PM
Typical Buck

IronRanger.
If you get back to these parts email me before you come. Maybe we can drown some worms in the river.
Old 05-01-2004, 09:22 PM

I'm with the folks who think non-residents pay to much. Over $700.00 here in NM. for elk. I paid $1200.00 for a moose tag and it cost almost $2000. 00 to hunt sheep. This is bogus, hunting shouldn't be just for the wealthy. I am fortunate as I can now afford this if I save really hard but it still is wrong. It is easier for me to draw a moose/sheep tag in Wy. than it is for a resident and I think the odds should be the same. I'm not saying non-residents shouldn't pay more but some of these prices are rediculous.
Old 05-01-2004, 10:32 PM
Fork Horn

It's all about supply and demand. Whether it's fair or not doesn't mean anything. The fact is there are more and more people who are applying for, and willing to pay top dollar for, licenses in the western states. And don't kid yourselves, these states know it. If a state like Montana were to double the cost of their non-resident buck deer tag, they would probably still get three times as many applicants as licenses. Is it fair? I don't know, but like I said, that doesn't matter. Personally I wish it could be like the old days that my uncle told me about, when you could pay a couple hundred dollars and get a Big Game license that would basically let you shoot one of everything. But I think those days are long gone.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:03 PM
Typical Buck

There's more to it than just supply and demand. Non Resident tags are getting out of hand and if not somehow checked it will become a rich man's game and the state will have killed the golden goose.
I understand there there are all sort of dynamics at play , but when it comes to the fish and game dept. of western states it's non res. money that foots the bill for them.
I hunt Wy. and have always done self guided hunts for mule deer and antelope in the past. Friends have told me that hunt regularly that outfitter hunts for take antelope use to be only a year or two ago were 5 day hunts for $850 range ,now the same hunts are 3 days for $1200. I've tried to rationale this buy telling them cost have increased, especially insurance (for the reputable outfitter) and I imagine access fees. But I do have to say it's hard to defend the increase AND the REDUCTION of days.
I hope this trend doesn't keep up ,for if it does the western states better hope there are alot of hunters with deep pockets to go around for all the guides ad outfitters.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:30 PM

I always hear people saying that hunting in Texas is only for the
"rich man", and to a point this is true, but I never hear anybody saying that Texas is one of the cheapest states for Nonresident tags. And the real big plus is that you do not have to draw for any tags, other then antelope and bighorns.

For $250 a nonresident gets all his tags and lic. in one. They get 5 whitetail tags, 2 mule deer tags, 4 turkey tags, and can hunt hogs, javelina, and exotics all for $250, not bad.

Quick Reply: Nonresident tag fees outlandish!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.