Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk Hunt

Old 04-24-2004, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Elk Hunt

I was wondering if any of you know where a good place to hunt elk is and how much an average guyed hunt costs. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-24-2004, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Elk Hunt

Colorado, New Mexico, Montana, Idaho, .... The state with the most elk is Colorado, you may want to start there.

Lastest guided costs I have seen generally run $2500-3500
Old 04-25-2004, 02:18 PM
Typical Buck

If you plane on going this year you got a lot of stuff to do to go . First CO. is your only choice right now most of the drawing for tags is over. So over the counter tags are your only choice. Our you going bow or gun IMO if you are any kind of bow hunter go bow your first few trips you realy learn alot about elk country when theres not alot of other hunters out there gun seaon can be a real rat race and most of the locals have the real good spots covered. Go to CO. game and fish department find out when you want to go .Iwould go before black powder season. Ok first get a few friends that realy want to go its cheaper to share the gas and food. The Steam Boat Spring area is real good.Get on your computer you can find maps and campgrounds. The best thing is a Colorado Atlas & Gazetteer you can get that at www.delorme.com . Tags are the most costly the state rapes us on tag cost on fedral ground we pay taxes on too. Thats another thread. You can take your own food cut cost. We take a old chest freezer and fill it completley full of ice freeze your own it will last you the whole trip. A tent a must cot too its can be cold it can be warm bring so bring the right clothes. Ive been going out for 11 years and I am just a construction worker you can do it for les then $1000 at the high end you can do it for $700 if your real tight. Its overwhelming the first time dont set your sight to high the first year just get to know the area if you find elk and get close you have done good. Ive never been on a guided elk hunt but me and acouple buddies have killed 8 elk in 11 years with our bows 5 bulls 3 cows 2bulls over 300 inches on public ground. Even if you dont get one being in the high country that time of year is the ultimate exprince. Start with Rout natinal forest or White River there the best. And most of all do what ever you can to get in shape us flat landers have a hard time in the hight altitudes. Go hunt hard and you will do good . Your whitetail gear will suit just fine out there. Dont go out there and think your going to call one in out of the 8 we killed 1 was called in but cow calls work good to stop them for a shot. Well I hope I have help you get out there and go .
Old 04-25-2004, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the info guys. I wasn't planning on going this year but would like to start getting info in case I get to go in a few years. I'll take any info I can get.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am going on my second guided elk hunt this fall. After looking at a bunch of outfitters, you need to figure out what you are willing to pay.

You will be hard pressed to find a guided elk hunt for under $3000, and they can go WAY up from there if you want a private ranch, huge bull, very high, clost to 100% success rate.

For your "average" hunt of pushing 50% chance, figure around $3500 plus license fees which can be high (I am going to ID and paying about $750 for tags).

Its costs money, lots of it, but its fun!

--Bob