Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

What is the best gun for moose and elk

Old 04-28-2004, 02:27 PM

Default RE: What is the best gun for moose and elk

While smaller bullets may be adequate, you owe it to the game your hunting to use optimum killing power. My choice would be .338 at minimum.

h/g
Old 04-28-2004, 03:10 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: hunter/gatherer

While smaller bullets may be adequate, you owe it to the game your hunting to use optimum killing power.
I'm glad there is someone else out there that feels this way. I've posted the same thing before and its seems so unimportant to everyone I don't even get so much as a scoff. Technology has advandced, its ok to take ethics up a notch because of it.
Old 04-29-2004, 01:50 PM
Typical Buck

I have a Rem. 7600 (pump) in .35 Whelen. With 200 grain bullets it makes a handy enough gun for hunting white-tails in thick river bottoms. With 250 grain pills it is plenty for elk, moose and bruins out to 250 yards or so. Just a little more pop than a 30/06 and probably the 06 is all you really need. I like the avalible fast second shot with the pump in case it is needed.

Robin
Old 04-29-2004, 02:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Since he said Griz I agree bigger is better and using a 338 win won't hurt him on elk or moose either. That being said I certainily don't think either are required for the latter 2 species and I believe part in parcel to the reason is todays selection of bullets or technology advancements if you will. If I look at what I use to use when hunting moose or elk with the bow and what I do today, I would have said YOUR CRAZY MAN for using that arrow and head for them big critters!!! Fact remains I can/do use lighter/faster/smaller and get the job done as well, would even argue better than the tree trunks and knives I use to fling back a few years ago[8D]. Ethics is personal and certainily not something you can hold across the line based on bullet diameter!! I do agree common sense and limitation must be used and adhered to, for me that is where the ethics part of the equation lies not purely based on your cartridge choice.
Old 04-30-2004, 01:37 PM

ORIGINAL: crazydd4

I'm getting my dad a new gun for fathers day and we are probabley going moose and elk hunting maybe griz in alaska, what would you guys recommend for these animals. I was considering a .300, what do yall think?
If this is a gun that is specifically for his elk and moose hunting - complementing other guns he already has, and there is no reason (e.g. $ or other constraints) for him to have another gun, my recommendation would be the 300 mag. This said, I've shot all my moose with a 30-06 and seen more taken with that and the 7mm mag than any other... with quality ammo at appropriate range. The 300 mag will give you, on paper at least, more knock down power and more range. So, if the above criteria are in play, go for it. But this isn't nesessarily a good thing...

Another point to remember: In my experience and in my opinion, if the moose isn't in the range of a fairly easy shot with a 30-06 or similar ballistics, don't shoot it. The reason is that a moose is a huge deal (let me repeat A HUGE DEAL) once it's down and more hunters get into trouble with a dead animal with a long pack or in a difficulst position than any other reason. This is a cause of far more troubles than any animal that is hit poorly and runs away (and frankly, it's not the caliber/power of the gun that allows them to run off, it's the shot itself).

Therefore, there's a very good arguement to sticking with an old trusty "medium" gun (like 30-06, 7 mm mag, etc.) and just disciplining yourself to hunting in that range. A comfortable shot with a comfortable trusted gun is far far more important than any reason to buy the more powerful gun.

This opinion obviously negates any need at all for a more powerful gun.
Just mho, of course - FAR BE IT FROM ME TO DISCOURAGE THE PURCHASE OF A NEW GUN!!! -zeke
Old 05-01-2004, 08:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would feel very well armed with two rifles which I have. 7600 30-06 and Browning Lever in 358 Winchester. I would not hesitate for a nano second to take the 7600 Pump with 5 200 grain Nosler partitions in it after anything on this continent . For griz I may load the 250 grain Barnes Original, Lots of S.D.
Old 05-01-2004, 09:04 PM

It seems to me that two guns are in order. My 30-06 has killed bear and elk without ever needing a second shot. This was just a black bear though. I will be going moose hunting this fall and feel very comfortable with the 30-06. If I was going Griz hunting I'd want a bigger caliper such as those mentioned above. I know if I made the perfect shot the 30-06 would definately kill the bear but I'd want more beef in that up close and personal situations where I might want to takeout the shoulder.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Zeke. That makes a hell of a lot of sense.
Old 05-04-2004, 07:58 AM

As long as we're sitting by the fireside computer and we talking elk and moose and the grizzlies are 1000's of miles away, the 30-06 makes a right fine choice.

Once you've paid the $8000+ for a griz hunt and you've come across your first fresh pile of steaming grizz scat next to the willow thicket and checked out the size of those paw prints in the mud and the fact we are now talking "dangerous game" (and all that goes with it) sinks in and the hair stands up on the back of your neck --- it's IMHO it is at that point a mid-bore rifle will be heartwarming..

But since most folks will never do the grizzly thing, just get the elk/moose gun and worry about griz and what to shoot them with later.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think any 30 or 338 mag would be optimum, but if you are confident with a 270, 280, 30-06, 35 whelen, you wont be undergunned.

Quick Reply: What is the best gun for moose and elk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.