Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

? for elknut1 on elk calls

Old 04-17-2004, 08:14 AM
Typical Buck

Default ? for elknut1 on elk calls

Elknut1,

I have been hearing alot of people say the new hoochie mama elk call was very good call. Well of course I went out and bought one. I played with it for half a day and it still didn't sound very impressive. To me it sounded like the pitches were not there and very squeaky.

My question is have you used this call with any sucess?
Is their something I'm missing in the pitches of this call?

I have in the past totally messed up a bugle and had the elk just go nuts over it.

I pretty much use just reeds. I do use screery's bite and blow cow calls at times. I can get pretty good variety from them.

Just curious if you had any luck with that elk call.
Old 04-17-2004, 12:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: ? for elknut1 on elk calls

I pretty much use just reeds. I do use screery's bite and blow cow calls at times. I can get pretty good variety from them
That's exactly the reason that I have never bought one. The hoochie mama sounds the same every single time. Another reason I don't like them is I can't use them to stop a bull if i need to while I am at full draw. I hear people that swear by them but like you I just don't get it. They just don't do anything for me at all.

I personally use Sceerey bite down cow calls and the Primos terminator bugle. I get lots of variety with these calls and they are about the easiest to use that I have tried and sound good too.
Old 04-17-2004, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I quit using the sceery because every time I was getting hot with a bull, they seem to clog up with spit and either not work at all or sound like a duck call. Have they changed the design or am I just missing something. Now I usually carry a sceery and a cow talk in case the sceery stops woking, which it usually does.

Also, just had a friend down from Durango, CO that uses exlusively Primos Hyperlip and says they are the best he has ever used. This is a guy that bowhunts 2-3 weeks a year and calls in about 50+ bulls a year for himself and others.
Old 04-17-2004, 04:21 PM
Typical Buck

Cherokee-Outfitter

Yes I have used the Hoochie mamma. It's not one of my personal favorites. If you want cow-- calf talk, it can't be beat. Problem is it ends there, it lacks other important sounds that can be made with other cow calls. But if interested in simulating a small herd with spike to raggy squeals and cow-- calf sounds it would work great to get a rise out of a bull or attract other elk to you.

When purchasing cow calls I look for calls that can do nearly all sounds, I usually will carry two of them.
For instance---for pre-estrus whines, lost or seperated cow calls, distress cow sounds, or come on over this way cow talk it's hard to beat primos hyper lip single, but it can't give you good calf sounds or calf distress sounds or strain your ears to hear cow mews, that's where the second cow call comes in, for those I like the primos cow-calf call. In addition to those sounds it also can give general cow-calf talk. You could throw the hoochie mamma into the mix but it's just one more thing to carry, and not absolutely necessary, like the other two.
Of course you can also make all the sounds I mentioned with mouth diaphram reeds, for those sounds I like both primos reeds and Carltons tone trough double reed.

Hope this helps you out!!---elknut1
Old 04-17-2004, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am going to order a hyper lip single and the cow/calf. Do you use the tone converter on the hyper lip or just use your hand when needed? Also, do you recommend any of the videos for instructions on how to use the calls? Thanks
Old 04-17-2004, 06:25 PM
Fork Horn

Used it one year and threw it away!!!!!! I too have used the sceery, I like it alot but last year I tryed Wayne carltons estres cow call (its a external reed call) the bulls just went nuts over it!!! I will be taking that one agian...but i always have a selection of calls when i'm out there hunting because you never know what the bull wants!!!
Old 04-17-2004, 07:15 PM
Typical Buck

txhunter58---I personally use the tone converter one for the hyper lip single, I also use my hand over it from time to time depending on the sound I'm working. The hyper lip double is just flat too loud for most calling sequences.
To be honest, the best videos for the use and all the sounds needed are on our videos.
Vol-1-2-3-and 4 show the many uses and situations using the hyper lip single. Vol-4 shows the use and all sounds of the Cow - Calf call and the hoochie mamma.

NwOutdoorshop---The cow call by Carlton "estrus whine" is identical to the hyper lip single in sounds. there are times when a different cow call can strike a special cord with a particular bull, but not very often, the real key to a calls effectivness is in the user more so than the brand of the call. I say this because of how many different styles I've used over the years, you can spook elk or you can call them in with any good call. The key too is knowing what you're saying, or responding to an elks response correctly, not just spitting out the only sounds you're familiar with, and hope for the best!! elknut1
Old 04-17-2004, 07:49 PM
Fork Horn

Very true ,Very true Elknut1

I see you have Bugle Bull Game calls. I also will be stocking them along with Berry Game Calls
Old 04-18-2004, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you guys want to talk elk, just look at elknuts videos. The fourth video comes out next month in which he promised me my own autographed copy. Even well seasoned elk hunters can learn from all the research that elknut has put into them. He even has dominated another elk forum on www.stickbows.com and his tapes are big hits. A picture is worth a thousand words. Bobby

P.S. Paul, if you didn't spend so much time on these hunting sites, I'd be watching my fourth tape by now.
Old 04-18-2004, 05:37 PM
Fork Horn

I've been quite successful with the Woods Wise Hyper hot Cow Call. Have called in both bulls, and stopped cows dead in their tracks. It comes with a good video as well as cassette tape. It's very easy to use.

I've also got a Hoochie Mama call or did have, left it hanging on a tree limb while relieving myself last year. Guys in our camp have had good luck with it. Just about all of them have the Woods Wise call noted above. Nearly everyone has enjoyed good success with it. You can do cow mews, hyper hot calls, distress calls and bull squeals.
Regards.

Quick Reply: ? for elknut1 on elk calls

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.