Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Best Big Game out there???

Old 03-23-2004, 09:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Best Big Game out there???

Here's one that is applicable to the site's title. What is the best Big Game to hunt??????
Old 03-23-2004, 10:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Best Big Game out there???

That depends on many things. To be the best big game to hunt, it has to be available. In that respect whitetail deer and mule deer are at the top. Hunters can't always afford to take a out of state or country trip so the hunt what they have to hunt. To many people Elk or moose may be the best big game to hunt. These people probably have huntable populations of these animals in thier area or have the money to take the trip and the luck to draw the tags. I have been fortunate enough to hunt moose and bear in Canada, Elk in the Black Hills in SD. and deer in Wyoming, SD, and ND. Because its a family and nieghbor thing I quess deer hunting makes it for me. Its a tradition started for me 48 years ago. The deer camp and family and friends that get together that time of year for the hunt is something I live for. I no longer have any desire to leave North America to hunt but thats just me. I like what I have here in North America. I have to add, there is no bad big game hunting. I have to wait another seven years to apply for Elk in SD. Will go for Moose and Bear again this Fall.
Old 03-23-2004, 12:57 PM

Default RE: Best Big Game out there???

Carpmaster,

I don't know about that one....[:-][:-][:-][:-]

In this case, the use of "best" is very likely forbidden, sorry I can't voice a direct opinion to your question. Please understand that "best" will have to vary from person to person according to whatever it is that floats their individual hunting boat, as the emergence of a single or dominant "best" big game animal could result in an elevated class of big game and that would be very, very bad. In fact, I recommend the re-class-ification of all big game to include everything right on down to cottontails and squirrels so as to afford equal opportunity to all.

Personally, I find elk hunting certainly provides an entertaining big game hunt as an annual tradition and the meat provides some great tasting and abundant eating. Having done it for a while though I would like to progress (flinch) a bit and try moose or caribou next and then see where it goes from there. Beyond that, IMHO, the great bears and then the big antelope and DG of Africa are a logical next progression (flinch) for some folks.

Personal Disclaimer! You need to understand that this is very much a minority viewpoint and may not be right for everyone. Check with your advisors to see if this kind of hunting may be right for you. Possible warning symptoms may include: low check book balances, low tolerances for guides, unwillingness to travel, fear of flying and any aversion to: risk, discomfort, or sleep deprivation. Do not engage in this type of hunting if you have any lack of heart whatsoever.

Ah, PC squeeky clean --- but what a frigging hassle!

Good Luck and Good Hunting,
EKM