Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Hog Hunting

Old 03-18-2004, 12:05 PM

Default RE: Hog Hunting

i have called and talked to numerous outfitters and ranches. they will not allow anyone attempting to use a 22lr on a hog.every single one stated that the chance of killing is extremely slim.they said oit was over a 90% chance that the animal would just be wounded. how can you compare a 22lr shot to a 44mag shot?
Old 03-20-2004, 12:54 AM
usa
Fork Horn

DEP214,I'm not comparing a .22 to a .44mag, just shareing an experience, I also could care less what any outfitter want's on his ranch or not, my point was that a .22 can and will kill hog's under the right condition's, when I killed that hog with a .22 that was the only gun I had with me and the shot was so easy I couldn't pass it up !! you guy's that think you know it all and your opinion is the only right opinion really piss me off ! Why don't you just enjoy the sport and the comradery and put your attitude where the sun doesn't shine (right next to your cell phone)
Old 03-20-2004, 11:19 AM

i never claimed to know it all and never will.i have hunted hogs20 years. i have hunted with spears,guns, and dogs.i even worked part time at owen's country sausage. i got to see first hand how hogs were killed every day.the head or skull is so thick that in order for a 22 to kill them it has to be almost placed against their head.a long shot away is extremelt rare.the bullet does not have the size or power to do that job.why would you even attempt such a shot?the probability of it killing are extremely slim.i love hunting and have been hunting for 42 years. i hunt hogs year around. i just got back from a 3 day hog hunt in palestine texas.when hunting a hog with a 22 you have to question your own personal ethics.unless you can get to where you can almost place the gun against the hog,you are more than likely going to just wound him.as hunters we have to make better choices.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:53 PM

them Texas hogs must be tough.[8D]
Old 03-26-2004, 05:57 PM

all hogs are tuff.feral have lots of fat where russians do not.they have more muscle mass