Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Hog Hunting

Old 03-09-2004, 06:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hog Hunting

Last time i went both my dad and I had .300 Savage. But he was using an .300 Savage Mag.
Old 03-10-2004, 03:05 PM

i too find it very troubling as not knowing what weapon to use, why did he not ask his friend or whoever invited him.i too would be seriously concerned about hunting experience here. an experienced hunter would not have to ask.if i knew nothing about what weapon to use i would ask the one who invited me. that is not a slam on anyone but a genuine concern.
i just got in sunday night from a 3 day hog hunt in palestine,texas.hogs are not meant to be should in the shoulder area due to the plates they have.the best shoy is behind the ear.using a bow the best shot is a quartering away shot.you need to practice with what you use and the nite before does not allow that. i have pics of out hunt for anyone to see.many hogs have been recoverd with old bullets and broadheads inside them.
Old 03-10-2004, 07:34 PM

many hogs have been recoverd with old bullets and broadheads inside them
dep,
Sounds like those hogs are as tough as elk, I also believe shot placement is very critical on an elk as a hog. I killed a bull during archery season 3 years ago and upon butchering a front shoulder I found a 50 caliber black powder slug embedded in the front shoulder blade, Would like to go hog hunting one of these days, would think it would be alot of fun, and exciting...
Old 03-10-2004, 09:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: newmanisking

I was just invited last night(the night the question was asked) to join my cousin on a trip to his lease. No harm done just asking since I've never done it. Gotta learn how to do things sometime from somebody right?
This is why I second guessed your skill level. You want to learn the night prior to the hunt and the imformation you provided is you gave the impression this is your first hunt and wondering what gun to borrow? This is why I gave you the impression you don't need to be out in the field jeopardizing someones life. I just wonder if you actually ever have completed a hunter safety course or not and also wonder how many years you have actually been hunting?
A man with all the weapons you say you has knows that any weapon will just about bring a hog down, but if you must know for future references this is my own personal resume for hogs,

* Bow 45# Kodiak Hunter
* Bow 60# Black Widow (175 LB boar)
* Bow 63# Golden Eagle
* 45 cal. Thompson Center Muzzleloader(s)
* H&R 22 pistol
* 22 Rifle(s)
* 30-30
* Shot gun(s) slugs and 00 buck
I have probaly killed at least 20 hogs + or minus in my life and mostly it depends on the shot as sometimes you got to wait on on the right angle of projection, I have shot some nice hogs and with the shoulder on some boars its so caluised that a straight broadside shot is out of the question as you won't be able to penetrate it a lot of times, thats with a bow, so the best shot you can ask for is one that is quartering away, but the shoulder is tough as amour. I have left many an arrow dangling with only an 8 inch penenatration and no blood, but sooner or later the chest cavity will fill up with blood and it will drown if your patient and don't push the animal. I have also ben hooked a couple times by the clackers, good luck, Bobby
Old 03-11-2004, 02:38 PM

here in texas if you use a 22 on a hog you will be wasting your ammo.from a stand it will not penetrate the skull/neither will a 22mag.you would have to be close enough to place the gun directly against their headmost of the ranches i have been to laugh about the 22 and will not allow them.i use a 7mag and a 30.06. a 30-30 will do nicely also if close enough.we used 125 gr broadheads and they all bent.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:21 PM

True, newmanisking didn't provide much information on which to make a reasoned response. I guess there are a few ways to approach a message like this. I can see three approaches:

1) No response at all. Maybe you don't have any help to offer, maybe you didn't see the note until a few days later and figured it was too late.

2) Offer a note of welcome to a new member of our community. Share with him/her ways to improve the quality of their questions so that you can better help them. Offer some general advice that may help them out while they refine their post.

3) Throw back an insult like you were tossing a hand grenade at an enemy solder. We don't like strangers around these parts! At least strangers who don't format their message the way we think they should.

Welcome to the forum newmanisking. Stick around. Mostly we fall into the first or second categories. Very few of the third. But everyone has an occaisional bad day. For the most part this is a real helpful bunch.

You've already gone and come back, but here are my thoughts. I used a 30-06 on my hog hunt. A friend used a 270WSM. A guy I know uses a 7mm-08. Something in the mid-range will do. Pick a tough bullet as hogs have tough hides and a bullet for thin-skinned game might come apart before it can penetrate and do its work.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:52 PM

Hey newsman, how did your hunt go? What did you end up using? Hope it did the trick man!
Old 03-12-2004, 02:50 PM

Thanks Bobby and everyone else. I will definitely use this information next time I go. Hopefully next time we'll see something
Old 03-12-2004, 09:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't mention it, like Dep214 said, 22 is not a recommended caliber, but it would depend on ones skill level also as when I shot mine with 22's, I was within 10 feet (3yds) and I shot them behind the ear and quartered the shot up between the eyes, I was very close in making these shots, but I would not recommend in using a 22. I just wanted to clear that up, Bobby
Old 03-13-2004, 10:25 AM

I know what you mean Bobby. I didn't think a 22 would be a good choice with the hogs having such thick skin. I've heard a lot of people say just take head shots if your able too cause thats alot easier kill.

BigBore, we had a good time but didn't see any hogs. Did see some turkeys though and I wish turkey season was in! Next week it will be but I won't be able to go cause my daughter's having surgery but maybe the next weekend I will get too. Good luck everyone

Quick Reply: Hog Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.