Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Hog Hunting

Old 03-07-2004, 02:29 PM

Default RE: Hog Hunting

I sayif you shoot your guns well, you can pick what you use the night before and be fine.

Me, for them hogs I would take a 45/70 Marlin lever gun in the thick woods, or in a little more open place a .300 mag of sorts. Make sure you put it down cause those Russians are mean mothers.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:34 AM
Spike

I agree with Bigbore. I don't know how much preparation I'd put into a hog hunt either. If you're already a decent "hunter"? Pick a high caliber rifle and go. We used muzzleloaders the time we went down in Florida. They weren't Russians, but knowing the capabilities of your firearms is always your first reponsibility.
Old 03-08-2004, 05:10 PM

Newmansking, don't worry bout people like that. 121553, he was just asking a simple question. If you are not going to try and help him out, don't post anything. Newmansking, good luck on the hog hunt.
Old 03-08-2004, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

How about 12 guage slugs?
Old 03-08-2004, 08:57 PM
Fork Horn

I have used my 375 Big Bore Win. mod.94 for years in Arkansas. works very well on those big Russ. boars out to about a hundred yards.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Old Faithful

Newmansking, don't worry bout people like that. 121553, he was just asking a simple question. If you are not going to try and help him out, don't post anything. Newmansking, good luck on the hog hunt.
Well excuse me, but I take it kinda a personal when someone goes hunting for the first time for hogs and ask what gun they should hunt with, I wonder about there skills when asking this question as I am concerned about there ability to handle a weapon that may be given to them by a friend prior to the hunt. I have never had a friend call me up on the phone the night before hunting day and ask me what broadhead to use on an elk or what gun should I bring the night prior to a hunt, if he did, it would show his lack of experience, not to mention that someone whom may be unskilled in firearms and having someone just stick a rifle in their hand the morning of the hunt and expect him to shoot a hog, my questions that I ask is I am more concerned abount his ability and experience in handling a firearm than anything, I like to think that what I know I can share with others through my mistakes and when I go into the woods I like to think their are people behind that gun that know what their doin, but to come up the night before the hunt and ask that question really tells me the experience level that this person has and needs to be put in cheque until he has had the training to know how to hunt the species prior to the night of the hunt.
If you or he gets the feathers ruffled than so be it, I was just tring to find out his experience level, as I think I found that out, Bobby
Old 03-09-2004, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used a 60# compound & 3 Blade Rocky Mountain Broadheads on 9 hunts last year. good luck in your hunt. I would guess any large caliber would be good but then-I only Bowhunt..

Old 03-09-2004, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would have to agree with Bobby on this one. Not to knock Newman but If the question had been " I received a last minute invitation, these are the guns I have which is best suited?" I don't think there would have been a cross word said. The way the original post comes across is exactly how Bobby replied to it.
Old 03-09-2004, 03:03 PM

Well thanks Bobby, what a valuable asset you have proven to be on this site. Man, what would we do without you? You complain about his lack of knowledge on the topic and don't help him any, just complain. Thank you Bobby, we appreciate all your help. Hey everybody, no more questions allowed on this site, that's not what it's for.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:05 PM

Thanks Old Faithful for realizing it's a simple question that requires a simple answer. Thanks also to everyone who responded. Bobby, I've been around guns all my life and own just about any caliber capable of blasting a hog. I was just asking what caliber would best suit mowing down a hog. Sorry Bobby if I didn't give you a life history or a hunting skill level. From now on I'll keep the questions to a minimum and let the "experienced hunters" talk about it. (oh and by the way we didn't see any hogs anyway)

Quick Reply: Hog Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.