Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Running Shots -->

Old 03-05-2004, 10:12 AM

Default RE: Running Shots -->

Yes, I would take the shot.
Old 03-05-2004, 10:55 AM

I wouldn't take the shot unless the animal was already wounded.
I would GUESS about a 3' lead and swinging through might be about right.

If an animal is walking slowly I will take a moving shot but otherwise I will try to stop it or wait for a better opportunity on it.
Old 03-05-2004, 11:01 AM

The third factor would be if it is a once in a life time trophy......you are going to take the shot.
Speak for yourself --- that is not my ethic! I have glimpsed elk through my scope bigger than I may ever get to take, some of them close but in cover and moving way fast. I won't throw hot lead their way just because I can see them. If I shoot I want a high probability of an immediate kill. I have come across some beautiful trophies lying there bloated, undressed, and unclaimed that may have fallen victim to your approach.

Good Luck and Good Hunting,
EKM
Old 03-05-2004, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: CPT Pete

If the shot feels good, Take it! If you don't squeeze the trigger you have 0% chance of taking the animal. Distance is another factor, the further the target, the further you must lead your target. The third factor would be if it is a once in a life time trophy......you are going to take the shot
Not my ethics either. The bigger the animal might make me LESS likely to take this shot. I really couldn't sleep If I wounded and didn't recover a real wall hanger. I would also reply to this that if you don't pull the trigger, you have 0% chance of wounding a magnificent animal that deserves better.
Old 03-05-2004, 11:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have taken running shots and have passed on running shots as well, in all cases it was how the shot opportunity felt at that time to me. Many things come into play with a running shot(shot angle, distance, rest, speed, wind, etc) but if the animal is giving me a bad % shot I simply won't shoot regardless of the head gear he is toting( this goes for all shots). For me personally it is simple if I am not 100% confident I can make the shot both cleanily and ethically, I simply won't chance it and wait for the next opportunity, which sometimes can be sooner than one thinks! For example; 3 years ago I had a bull running at a bad angle and just before he hit the opposite bushline he stopped and looked back...big mistake on his part as I was ready and on him the entire time, when I saw him slowing down I took aim and then upon his quarter turn sent a bullet into his lungs. I had a number of opportunities to attempt a texas lung shot, etc at much closer distances but decided to not leave it to chance and in the end was rewarded with a good shot angle and ultimately a notched tag. I have also have had it the otherway, as painful as it is to watch your trophy scamper away untouched, I take solace in the fact I didn't make an ill fate attempt and caused him to suffer by a poor desicion on my part. In my mind anytime I get inside of a trophy animals space I consider it to be a big positive and have the eternal hope that we may meet again with a different outcome.

Really only the man/woman looking through the glass at that time can evaluate and decide if the shot is of worth taking. I know I have to live with myself if I don't adhere to my inner feelings and let my emotions get the best of me. As such I won't do that to the game I chase or to myself, out of respect for BOTH!
Old 03-05-2004, 12:15 PM
jjt

i pop the heads off bunnies all season and shoot many coyotes thru out the year all on the run if i deamed the shot very makeable then i would take it
if i deamed it just probable then i would pass and hope for a second chance

i belive being a marksman is only part of the hunting experience
Old 03-05-2004, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Outdoor, seems like you like controversial topics, but to answer your question, NO I WOULD NOT. A follow up shot, Yes. Bobby
Old 03-05-2004, 01:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

I generally won't shoot at a running animal unless its already hit. The main reason is that where I hunt the shots are ussually 200 yards or a little more. By the time you try to judge the range plus the fact that they are almost never running on level ground, the whole sitituation gets to iffy for me. I will sometimes take a runnung shot if they are going directly awya from me. Then I hold on the back of the neck and either get a clean miss or immediate kill.
Old 03-05-2004, 02:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

IF your a proficient shot and are comfortable with your firearm then a running shot within reason is ok. In some situations jumping Deer or Elk out of their beds and shooting at them is the only viable way of harvesting one. Most people that engage in this activity are reasonabally good marksmen and more power to them. I personally like shooting them broadside , head down grazing right at the shoulder or immediately behind on a windless day at a range of 50 yards on level ground, but that only really happens in fairytales. I am always prepared for the inevitable and that means shooting at them until they drop whether they are running or walking..That is the least I can do .
Old 03-05-2004, 03:41 PM

In the situation stated i would make a shot on the animal. I like to have my hairs set just in front of the animals shoulder and move with the critter. How much in front of the shoulder obviously depends on the speed of the animal. I am quite confident with this method and it has been pretty sucessful for me in the past. As stated earlier it just really depends on how confident you feel at the time. You don't get out of bed in the morning and say okay today if i see a running animal i will not shoot. It all depends on how the situation presents itself and you don't have alot of time to react or think about it. You can't sit and hum and ha about it, either you quickly shoot or ya don't.

Quick Reply: Running Shots -->

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.