Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Question for every elk hunter.

Old 03-10-2004, 11:01 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Question for every elk hunter.

Thats how they get ya WolfKiller, they offer you money. Next thing you know you'll be a big city yuppie and a picketing anti-hunter. Ok I'm just messin with ya. Seriously I would say it depends on your present financial situation. For me its family first then hunting is a close second. If my family was being taken care of with my current job I'd most definitely stay even if money was tight. If my family was suffering at all due to lack of money then I'd have to take the new position if I thought it was my only option. But I'll tell you, I don't think I could ever live anywhere that didn't have big mountains and buglin elk.
Old 03-11-2004, 01:03 AM

Default RE: Question for every elk hunter.

That's a difficult question to answer, there are so many factors to weigh - promotion opportunities, family needs, housing costs, quality of life - that its almost impossible to give a competent response with the current information. No matter, it sounds like you've come to a decision and are happy with it.

You've made up your mind but I figured I'd still join in on the general conversation. I've heard the phrase "making money is easy if that's all you want to do." That may not be literally true, but there is some truth to that statement. Your life has got to have some balance. If you cut out a big part of what you like to do, so much so that you're living for that two week vacation to get back to it, I'd have to wonder if it'd really be worth it. The latin phrase above the lion in an MGM movie means "art for art's sake". Never heard of "money for money's sake".

I'm just a couple of years older than you living in a concrete jungle on the west coast. These last few months I've been kicking around a scenario that is the reverse of yours. While I have a good job and an healthy income, I'm considering leaving the state and putting down roots somewhere else. Someplace where things aren't so crammed together and I don't have to drive a couple of hours to get out of the city. Not all of my friends share my growing interest in the outdoors, and I've gotten the urge to head back someplace where people aren't as likely to look down their nose at a hunter.

I have family in Pennsylvania, Kentucky and Virginia that tell me I should move there. I'm also kicking around Colorado and Wisconsin. Trying to make a plan for the next year or so. Once the economy picks up steam I might head to one of those states and get a job.