Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Question for every elk hunter.

Old 03-03-2004, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Question for every elk hunter.

ORIGINAL: Power
If you lived out of state you'd never get a change to go scouting, camping, taking pictures of wildlife, sleeping with the elk and listening to their bugling all night in September.
I think this says it all. Are you going to be satisfied to be in the elk woods only 1 week per year???? If you live to hunt elk, I doubt it.

Also, what is the cost of living differences. Housing, insurance, gasoline, food, etc. I suspect that you won't really have double the money due to higher living expenses and the extra cost to hunt every year.

As said, only you can make the call, but If I were in your shoes, I would stand pat. Good luck.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:08 PM
Typical Buck

If you feel the same as I do about elk hunting, and more importantly, living in elk country, and you say you do, then my decision would certainly take that into consideration. I live, eat, and breathe elk, not a day goes by I'm not thinking of elk and elk strategies, it's my life, my wife will vouch for that. In other words if I was offered a similar position that would increase my monetary value but I would have to sacrifice one of the most important things in life to me, I personally wouldn't do it.
I'm 49-- when I was younger I used to work my butt off to make a buck, but about 6 or 7 yrs ago I realized there's going to be a time in the not so far future where I'd be to old to enjoy elk hunting to its fullest, "running and gunning elk with a bow" with my son, that to me is important, as well as where I live. Now I'm not telling you to do what I'd do, but you did ask for an honest opinion. I realize this isn't a life or death decision but just one worth considering. Too, I couldn't live in a city, all I'd think about was how much I hated it and I didn't belong there, and what could I have possibly been thinking to make such a move. That's my .02 I wish you the best WolfKiller in your decision!!!! elknut1
Old 03-03-2004, 09:16 PM

Only you can make that decision wolf, my choice is the one i have made, drive a used truck, and get by on less, but live the montana outdoor lifestyle. I couldn't give it up for three times my salary. I'm with you on the elk, i scout all year, you can't replace that last hour of light when your up camping in the summertime just to take a ride with the family to see what the elk are doing. If your into the opera, you gotta move to new york, but if your into elk, 2 weeks a year just wouldn't do it for me, but it's a decision the whole family has to make.
Good luck on that decision
Old 03-03-2004, 09:22 PM

Follow your heart. It's a sad day when we do things just for money but if what you can do with the money means more to you than living where your at then it may be a tough decision. Less free time sounds awful to me, and I think you might regret that part of it. Also, I don't know what kind of hunting you prefer but paying $6,000.00 for an elk hunt sounds like a rip off. It doesn't sound like a rip off, it is a rip off. I'll tell you places to go for less than $500.00 and you have a good chance at getting them. Again, follow your heart, you'll only live once.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:28 PM

I would take the job and sadly enough, find something else to fill the time for the next few years. You family and supporting them is more important than hunting.[][&o]
Old 03-03-2004, 09:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

The grass is actually seldom greener on the other side of that fence. If you got a good thing, why trade. Whats the chance you can return to what you have now if you don't like the chage?
Old 03-03-2004, 10:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: j3k2c1

I would take the job and sadly enough, find something else to fill the time for the next few years. You family and supporting them is more important than hunting.[][&o]

Living a life so we can gather more materialistic things? Is that our goal? Why not compromise and everyone wins. Go with the gut feeling. Bobby
Old 03-03-2004, 10:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

In the past 18 months I have been offered 4 jobs, all included a relocation. Money is always an issue, it is sad but we need it, our wives need it and the kids use a lot of it. However in all 4 offers I weighed each and every detail, what I found in 2 cases the actual take home was not much different due to higher cost of living, so it was easy to say no. One case offered me nothing in my outdoor interests, yes that was a huge factor for me not accepting the position. However in the most recent case it was a nice increase and opportunity all things factored in, my wife said well if it is a better opportunity, blah, blah, blah but I'll miss this and that, my kids cried when faced with moving away from friends and more importantly immediate family(grandpa/grandma, aunts/uncles). In the end I knew I would regret moving b/c my family wouldn't be 100% happy with the new location. It meant I gave the right to advance in the company I am with and where I would like to be eventually, but it was the best decision I have ever made. When I declined the offer I slept easy for the first time in months, I just knew in my heart it wasn't HOME for all of us. As a young single lad I did the pick up and move thing but have come to appreciate home in most recent years. As some one mentioned the grass isn't always greener. The only true way to happiness is not through money but doing and living how one is most comfortable. Ain't no better place than HOME...if that can be in all facits where the new job opp. is then by all means move, if it isn't well I think you know the answer. Listen to your heart and family (if applicable), best of luck!

Bobby, man you nailed to much is placed on the things we have vs the quality of lives we live.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the help guys.
I woke up this morning & called my old friend. I told him the "quality of life" that I can live in Montana can not be traded for money. The job I have pays a good wage. I can afford to fish & camp in the summer months & hunt archery & rifle seasons in the fall.
I already had the answer in my heart. I just needed to confirm it. Thanks

rambopacker The $6,000 cost of the elk hunt is a well calculated out number. I figure in the cost of the outfitter sponsored license, Cost of the hunt with a outfitter, Tips, Round trip travel costs from the east coast to Montana & Meat processing. The total cost comes so close to $6,000 it will scare you.[:'(] The oufitter sponsored license is the only license for a non-resident that has 100% draw odds. The catch is if you buy that license you must hunt with a outfitter.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:48 AM

Hey Wolf Killer, thanks for the update. I guess being poor myself I just can't relate to hunting elk for that much no matter where the money goes. I've worked in Idaho and Wyoming and not to far from the Montana border. Western montana is awesome and wouldn't mind living there. If your in Western Montana next year send me a message and maybe I'll bring my animals up and we can go hunting them Montana bulls. I had some opportunities out in Minnesota and Wisconsin not to long ago. It would have been more money but I figured I'd spend all the extra money trying to get back to the Rockies to hunt. I love whitetails but I'm hooked on elk, mulies and mountains. The Quality of life in the great outdoors is worth a lot. It's easy for me though as my gal and I are free to roam and we have no kids except for our horses. Lots of luck.

Quick Reply: Question for every elk hunter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.